Stranger Things (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:So what's the tone of this series? Not into horror, but the trailer has me interested that it might not be that.
I wouldn't say horror at all. Think like E.T./Twin Peaks with a dash of Alien mixed in there. Highly recommended

An 8 episode series sounds interesting (I just finished a 13 episode series and I'm not sure if I want to dive head first into another show really quickly) and this seems cool enough.

Bacon wrote:An 8 episode series sounds interesting (I just finished a 13 episode series and I'm not sure if I want to dive head first into another show really quickly) and this seems cool enough.
I don't understand people like you lol

-Vader

Bacon wrote:So what's the tone of this series? Not into horror, but the trailer has me interested that it might not be that.
If our members endorsements hasn't propelled you to binge watch this show asap you're doing it wrong.

So yeah, this is amazing. One of the best shows in a while. Just wonderful storywise and aesthetically. The casting is spot on, especially the kids were fantastic. The score is also really great.

I have to say, though, that I don't really see the Twin Peaks comparison, that many people made, at all. Besides the superficial similarity that both shows take place in a small town and strange supernatural events happen, there isn't anything remotely Lynchian or soapy about it. It's pretty clear that it's mostly influenced by and refers to Carpenter, early Spielberg and Cronenberg.

Anyway, the finale was terrific and perfectly ambiguous and I can't wait to see where things will go now.

It's close to Super 8.

Panapaok wrote:So yeah, this is amazing. One of the best shows in a while. Just wonderful storywise and aesthetically. The casting is spot on, especially the kids were fantastic. The score is also really great.

I have to say, though, that I don't really see the Twin Peaks comparison, that many people made, at all. Besides the superficial similarity that both shows take place in a small town and strange supernatural events happen, there isn't anything remotely Lynchian or soapy about it. It's pretty clear that it's mostly influenced by and refers to Carpenter, early Spielberg and Cronenberg.

Anyway, the finale was terrific and perfectly ambiguous and I can't wait to see where things will go now.
Honestly Stephen King is probably an even bigger influence than those others. But I agree, Strange Things is not the least bit Lynchian.

-Vader

I'm not eloquent enough to describe how good I found this series to be.