Showtime's Dexter

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 13622
Joined: June 2009
Location: Florida
It took longer than it should've, I'm just glad they are finally doing it.

User avatar
Posts: 4317
Joined: June 2012
Location: SUH-waaaaannn-SEA
chee wrote:It took longer than it should've, I'm just glad they are finally doing it.
Pfft, yeah. :roll: I like LaGuerta's TV incarnation more though; they seem to have softened her a little in translation.

Posts: 38
Joined: May 2012
Location: Florida
Idk if anyone on here has read the books by Jeff Lindsey, but aren't the first two seasons of the show based on the first two books? I know that the show started to take its own path from the books, but I'm in the middle of the second book and it shows no resemblence to the second season of the show. Then again, if you read the first book and watched the first season you know they change a lot like:
Deb doesn't date Rudy, LaGuerta gets killed, and Rudy escapes
The characters are also changed a lot from the book to the show: LaGuerta isn't lieutenant, Angel works with forensics, etc. The portrayls of the characters is also very different, especially LaGuerta and Vince.
I'm interested in everyones opinion on this: which is better, book or show?
I 100% think the show is better, no offense to Jeff Lindsey

Posts: 1338
Joined: December 2011
Location: Alabama
kahern93 wrote:Idk if anyone on here has read the books by Jeff Lindsey, but aren't the first two seasons of the show based on the first two books? I know that the show started to take its own path from the books, but I'm in the middle of the second book and it shows no resemblence to the second season of the show. Then again, if you read the first book and watched the first season you know they change a lot like:
Deb doesn't date Rudy, LaGuerta gets killed, and Rudy escapes
The characters are also changed a lot from the book to the show: LaGuerta isn't lieutenant, Angel works with forensics, etc. The portrayls of the characters is also very different, especially LaGuerta and Vince.
I'm interested in everyones opinion on this: which is better, book or show?
I 100% think the show is better, no offense to Jeff Lindsey
You ought to mention, though, that you watched the show first.

Posts: 38
Joined: May 2012
Location: Florida
News Flash: I watched the show first.

Now everyone knows :lol: but seriously, the show just has so much more depth which is because they have a lot more time to develop it than the book does. However, I just really don't like the style of the books and how they are written. As far as I can tell, the second book and second season have nothing in common, except maybe the ending where
Doakes dies
which I haven't gotten to in the book. Having not seen a direct interpretation of the second season in show form, I do have to say that I am enjoying it more than I enjoyed the first book, but the style and mood of the books just isn't for me. Maybe it's because I saw Michael C Hall play Dexter before I read the books portrayl of the character, idk. I'm trying to be objective.

Did anyone read the books first that can offer their opinion?
I wanna see if I'm the only one who thinks the show is better and it's just because I saw the show first.

Posts: 1546
Joined: May 2012
Location: Missouri
kahern93 wrote:News Flash: I watched the show first.

Now everyone knows :lol: but seriously, the show just has so much more depth which is because they have a lot more time to develop it than the book does. However, I just really don't like the style of the books and how they are written. As far as I can tell, the second book and second season have nothing in common, except maybe the ending where
Doakes dies
which I haven't gotten to in the book. Having not seen a direct interpretation of the second season in show form, I do have to say that I am enjoying it more than I enjoyed the first book, but the style and mood of the books just isn't for me. Maybe it's because I saw Michael C Hall play Dexter before I read the books portrayl of the character, idk. I'm trying to be objective.

Did anyone read the books first that can offer their opinion?
I wanna see if I'm the only one who thinks the show is better and it's just because I saw the show first.
I have wanted to read the books! Havent had a chance:( I do love the show though, it's one of my favorites!

Posts: 38
Joined: May 2012
Location: Florida
I just finished the second book and I did enjoy it better having not seen a show interpretation of it. The storyline is completely different.

User avatar
Posts: 5434
Joined: June 2012
Location: Free
The storylines are completely divergent, but I think that the show is the superior version. It's also more realistic because [if you wanna read the third book without SPOILERS, don't look, if you don't care...]
In the third book is revealed that Dexter's dark passenger is actually an ancient demon driven by bloodlust. True story ;)
The next books ignore this fact because the idea had very poor reception, but it's still akward.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

User avatar
Posts: 16716
Joined: March 2012
didich wrote:The storylines are completely divergent, but I think that the show is the superior version. It's also more realistic because [if you wanna read the third book without SPOILERS, don't look, if you don't care...]
In the third book is revealed that Dexter's dark passenger is actually an ancient demon driven by bloodlust. True story ;)
The next books ignore this fact because the idea had very poor reception, but it's still akward.
Ah, so it's a 'The 8th Doctor is half-human' kind of deal, then?

User avatar
Posts: 5434
Joined: June 2012
Location: Free
^^Pretty much, yeah :lol:
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Post Reply