Dexter (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:
Alberto wrote:
The way they handled the death of Deb was really odd. I mean, really? Dexter's gonna throw Deb in the ocean to rest with all the bad people he killed in time? I had a big WTF reaction during that part.
THat's exactly the point.
Dev was already in a very poor condition. If she would have survived chances are she would have had problems anyway and most probably couldn't live a normal life. Dexter killed her out of not only remorse but also love. He just didn't want her to suffer anymore because of him. Same was with Harrison tho he had no reason to kill him of course but had a reason to just leave him and retreat somewhere in the wilderness. The ending makes sense and it's great that it's not cliched. I'm sorry but you can't call this a cliche ending just because he faked his own death. We should just forget about the Deb sacrifice? Nobody expected that and surprisingly enough it was emotional and made sense from Dexter's pov. He just couldn't live with that burden anymore. He had to let it go. The finale worked well. There are other issues.
It just seems like the product of really lazy writing.
I hate when people don't like something and they call it lazy writing. I don't consider the last episode of Dexter lazy writing. Lazy writing would have led to a much more expected and obvious end. It's possible they over thought it or even tried too hard, which I don't think happened, but those are more likely than writing "lazy."

It's fine if you didn't like it or don't agree with it. But it's very presumptuous to call it really lazy writing.

anonymity wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote: THat's exactly the point.
Dev was already in a very poor condition. If she would have survived chances are she would have had problems anyway and most probably couldn't live a normal life. Dexter killed her out of not only remorse but also love. He just didn't want her to suffer anymore because of him. Same was with Harrison tho he had no reason to kill him of course but had a reason to just leave him and retreat somewhere in the wilderness. The ending makes sense and it's great that it's not cliched. I'm sorry but you can't call this a cliche ending just because he faked his own death. We should just forget about the Deb sacrifice? Nobody expected that and surprisingly enough it was emotional and made sense from Dexter's pov. He just couldn't live with that burden anymore. He had to let it go. The finale worked well. There are other issues.
I hate when people don't like something and they call it lazy writing. I don't consider the last episode of Dexter lazy writing. Lazy writing would have led to a much more expected and obvious end. It's possible they over thought it or even tried too hard, which I don't think happened, but those are more likely than writing "lazy."

It's fine if you didn't like it or don't agree with it. But it's very presumptuous to call it really lazy writing.
It's not just because I dislike it. As the writers said, you can't please everyone, which is true, so they're obviously going to go with the ending they think suits it best. The end of Lost is an example of an ending I disliked, but also isn't lazy, simply because the writers at least put some thought into it. The writing for this show has just been getting worse and worse for the past several seasons.
It's lazy because, first of all, it seems like too convenient a jump for the sake of drama. Dex kills Saxon in a extremely sloppy way that makes no sense for the kind of methodical killer he is. Later, Dex shuts off Deb's life support, which I guess makes sense for the contrived situation the writers put her in. Then he escapes with her body ... but why? What was the purpose of that other than just to show an overly dramatic scene of him dumping her into the ocean (which is sort of insulting to the character)?

Then afterwards, her obviously missing body is never mentioned. We never see Quinn, the guy who confessed his love to Deb not so long ago, and his reaction to all this mess. Masuka's whole subplot with his daughter is never really tied up. Also Dexter faking his death and becoming, of all things, a beardy lumberjack, was just hilarious and seems like a spoof more than an actual ending appropriate for the tone of the series. There are too many loose ends here.
When I say lazy I guess I mean the writers just really wanted to throw everything at the audience without much actually making sense for the characters. It's lazy and poor writing.

It's absolutely lazy and poor writing. Everything you just said is dead on.

It was an insult to Deb and made no sense. The last shots of Dexter that we see felt like a "false ending" something they would shoot to throw people off.

I personally loved the ending of LOST, it was simple and A) I sort of saw the last image coming (but it made sense) and B) it was quite emotional how they wrapped everything up. It was just more character based and not so much on the mythology. That's not lazy, that's just 2 directions to end it on...but people either loved it or hated it because they wanted it to end with the island. With everything answered. Instead it ended on Jack and how the characters are tied together no matter where they are.

LOST was always about the mystery more than the answers anyway. Right from the get-go. Dexter was not. They left too many things unanswered in the series finale. The final image literally made me laugh out loud right when it happened. Instead of ending it with a clever or emotional shot.

Cilogy wrote:
anonymity wrote:
Cilogy wrote:

It's not just because I dislike it. As the writers said, you can't please everyone, which is true, so they're obviously going to go with the ending they think suits it best. The end of Lost is an example of an ending I disliked, but also isn't lazy, simply because the writers at least put some thought into it. The writing for this show has just been getting worse and worse for the past several seasons.
It's lazy because, first of all, it seems like too convenient a jump for the sake of drama. Dex kills Saxon in a extremely sloppy way that makes no sense for the kind of methodical killer he is. Later, Dex shuts off Deb's life support, which I guess makes sense for the contrived situation the writers put her in. Then he escapes with her body ... but why? What was the purpose of that other than just to show an overly dramatic scene of him dumping her into the ocean (which is sort of insulting to the character)?

Then afterwards, her obviously missing body is never mentioned. We never see Quinn, the guy who confessed his love to Deb not so long ago, and his reaction to all this mess. Masuka's whole subplot with his daughter is never really tied up. Also Dexter faking his death and becoming, of all things, a beardy lumberjack, was just hilarious and seems like a spoof more than an actual ending appropriate for the tone of the series. There are too many loose ends here.
When I say lazy I guess I mean the writers just really wanted to throw everything at the audience without much actually making sense for the characters. It's lazy and poor writing.

I get where you're coming from. But as I mentioned before, this show is all abut Dexter. Every other character really acts as a foil to him. When it comes to the supporting characters, yeah this show is pretty lazy. And I thought they've made a number of poor decisions myself on this show. But all those loose ends are irrelevant. This show is about Dexter and I go into more detail about that in my original post on the previous page. It was always about Dexter having trouble dealing with human connection. While the rest of the show was a mess, I feel the writer's were always very clear about Dexter and his interpersonal complications. I think it felt like chaotic like everything was coming at once because everyone was looking everywhere but at the central character which is Dexter. Maybe the writers were even purposefully messy this season to make the audience see that it's all about Dexter and his dark passenger. Everything else on the show is just a foil.

I guess I just disagree with a lot of people. In spite of problems I've always enjoyed Dexter and I'm very pleased with the ending they chose.

Just watched the finale... very very disappointing. Didn't expect a happy chappy ending but ugh. They could have at least done that two or three seasons ago yo.
RIP Deb :(
QQ: What was the last words Deb said to Quinn before going to surgery?

It was also weird that Daddy Harry didn't feature in the finale, I guess Dex is all grown up now.

Cil saying something good about LOST's ending gave me an erection.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Cil saying something good about LOST's ending gave me an erection.

-Vader
I never got the hate for the ending in LOST. I loved it.

the_red_ninja wrote:Just watched the finale... very very disappointing. Didn't expect a happy chappy ending but ugh. They could have at least done that two or three seasons ago yo.

It was also weird that Daddy Harry didn't feature in the finale, I guess Dex is all grown up now.
Didn't she say
"I love you, Joey"
?

Alberto wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:Just watched the finale... very very disappointing. Didn't expect a happy chappy ending but ugh. They could have at least done that two or three seasons ago yo.

Didn't she say
"I love you, Joey"
?
Yeah, that's what I heard. And then Quinn just stood there totally stunned. :roll:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexte ... -finale/2/

Totally agree with the defending points made by producers. I'm glad they stick by their decisions. You can never please everyone with any ending to a series. But this ending was logical and reasonable for the character. It is fitting!
It’s also surprising that Miami Metro never realized Dexter’s secret. Everybody expected them to figure things out in the final season.
BUCK: We toyed with that idea, but it felt off-point. The story was ultimately about Dexter’s personal journey.