Dexter (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Yes it could have been worse. I actually enjoyed a good amount of stuff throughout the season. I liked the Deb/Dexter interactions and when they brought Hannah back into it. Quinn always makes me laugh because he's such a moron, that continued lol. It always feels nostalgic and nice to see Batista and Masuka around. And I never get tired of Dexter when he's on screen. But the new characters this season ALL sucked. The writing sucked and the finale suffered immensely.

The Dex/Deb stuff in the finale was emotional. Yes. But the way they took it from there? Come on!

It was easily the best episode of the season (except for the very last scene) They made the best finale they could out of this bad season IMO but it wasn't close to what it could have been...sadly :cry:

Now Where Was I ? wrote:It was easily the best episode of the season (except for the very last scene) They made the best finale they could out of this bad season IMO but it wasn't close to what it could have been...sadly :cry:
Really? It wasn't the worst, but it definitely wasn't the best. The opening episodes were much better, and even they were weak.

BroskiSabor wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:It was easily the best episode of the season (except for the very last scene) They made the best finale they could out of this bad season IMO but it wasn't close to what it could have been...sadly :cry:
Really? It wasn't the worst, but it definitely wasn't the best. The opening episodes were much better, and even they were weak.
well some scenes were perfectly handled like
Deb/Dex scenes and Dex unplugging her and especially the boat ending...they were emotionally great and a fitting ending IMO (if it wasn't for the fucking epilogue)...honestly if the show ended with him going in the tornado, I would have say the finale was really great...even Quinn was pretty awesome in the episode

The way they handled the death of Deb was really odd. I mean, really? Dexter's gonna throw Deb in the ocean to rest with all the bad people he killed in time? I had a big WTF reaction during that part.

I'm glad people liked the last episode for the most part while not agreeing with every decision that was made. Am I the only one that thought the ending was fitting? I don't feel like anyone is asking why they decided to keep Dexter alive. His sister was the ultimate price he paid for becoming truly human. It was being Dexter that got his sister killed. People closest to us get hurt but that's just part of life. Dexter couldn't handle that. He couldn't live with the idea that he could hurt Hannah or Harrison.

I'm not saying Dexter made the right decision. In fact he made a very selfish decision. What I'm saying is that it does fall in line with his character and it was a logical choice for the writers to make. The whole point of this show was to express the difficulty of human connection. And in the end Dexter gave up on it. No prison cell would suffice and death would be too easy. If he was going to punish himself as opposed to moving on, he chose the harshest punishment, which is having to live with himself.

Alberto wrote:
The way they handled the death of Deb was really odd. I mean, really? Dexter's gonna throw Deb in the ocean to rest with all the bad people he killed in time? I had a big WTF reaction during that part.
THat's exactly the point.
Dev was already in a very poor condition. If she would have survived chances are she would have had problems anyway and most probably couldn't live a normal life. Dexter killed her out of not only remorse but also love. He just didn't want her to suffer anymore because of him. Same was with Harrison tho he had no reason to kill him of course but had a reason to just leave him and retreat somewhere in the wilderness. The ending makes sense and it's great that it's not cliched. I'm sorry but you can't call this a cliche ending just because he faked his own death. We should just forget about the Deb sacrifice? Nobody expected that and surprisingly enough it was emotional and made sense from Dexter's pov. He just couldn't live with that burden anymore. He had to let it go. The finale worked well. There are other issues.

RIFA wrote:
Alberto wrote:
Dev was already in a very poor condition. If she would have survived chances are she would have had problems anyway and most probably couldn't live a normal life. Dexter killed her out of not only remorse but also love. He just didn't want her to suffer anymore because of him. Same was with Harrison tho he had no reason to kill him of course but had a reason to just leave him and retreat somewhere in the wilderness. The ending makes sense and it's great that it's not cliched. I'm sorry but you can't call this a cliche ending just because he faked his own death. We should just forget about the Deb sacrifice? Nobody expected that and surprisingly enough it was emotional and made sense from Dexter's pov. He just couldn't live with that burden anymore. He had to let it go. The finale worked well. There are other issues.
^ THIS

RIFA wrote:
Alberto wrote:
I'm talking about the way he threw Deb in the ocean, with all the other criminals he killed over time. Yes, he had to kill her, I understand that, but he didn't have to throw her there. And I personally don't think anything from the last few episodes was really emotional. Everything felt rushed and fake. At least, for me. And the last episode was really predictable. I watched it with a friend and we both guessed absolutely every move and scene just before it happened. I mean, everything. And it felt like they were trying too hard. And how the hell did Dexter escape? He was in the middle of a storm in the ocean. Next day, we see the boat destroyed. Are we supposed to think he swam all the way? And yes, I think faking death has become a cliche, we've seen that in so many stuff recently, it's already getting boring. And if it isn't handled well, it becomes bad as well. And Dexter's last scenes were so poorly made, imo. So rushed, no time to digest anything, no emotional impact (for me, at least), no resolution for most characters. I don't know what happened, but I didn't like it.

RIFA wrote:
Alberto wrote:
It just seems like the product of really lazy writing.