The Invisible Man (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Why does Scientology have all these actors I like? Smh.

But yeah she was brilliant.

Artemis, Vader, why are you lying to us

If you don't trust me or Vader, the film currently has a 90% RT score and a 71 Metacritic score.

Is even the moon frightened of this, frightened to death?

i saw the trailer for the first time i think in a packed theater a few days ago and tbh everyone laughed and it DID look dumb but also kinda interesting so if it’s good i’ll probably need to see it.

i feel like this movie harbors a huge meme potential and i want to be there for it

Ruth wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 12:21 pm
i saw the trailer for the first time i think in a packed theater a few days ago and tbh everyone laughed and it DID look dumb but also kinda interesting so if it’s good i’ll probably need to see it.

i feel like this movie harbors a huge meme potential and i want to be there for it
There is one scene that can def be a meme and I was like "wtf how are they that dumb?"

this is by the same guy who made the also very good Upgrade so

its worth seeing

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:30 pm

and yes, the trailers sadly give way too much away.

It really didn't to me. It gave away some things that were established early in the film but nothing was ruined from the trailer.

This was great. It is tense right from the start, it's a twisted version of love from the old monster movies and has some cool references to the classic. The camera movement and Moss's performance are ultimately what makes this movie. Both create an almost unbearable amount of tension. Whanel really delivers here. And yes, Adrian Griffin is still a megalomaniac. It also really hits as a domestic abuse thriller and makes you really root and care for Moss that much more.

So I saw this! Surprisingly really liked it! Incredibly nerve wracking from the moment it starts, the film utilizes its staging, camera movement and sound (esp little background noises) to the very max to set a very unsettling tone. Didn’t commit the crucial mistake of venturing into sadistic displays of domestic abuse to really hammer home just how horrible the dude was, and instead relied on the audiences having enough empathy and imagination to accept the story’s reality as it was. If anything, that made it all the more relatable and human - as we all have our own boundaries of what feels too much, the ability to fill in those voids with what’s personally scary is a welcome change to cliched exploitation.
Sure, it has its own dumb moments in its writing and overall logic, and with the film carrying this oh so serious tone and a lack of self awareness to the schlocky meme potential, that turns those moments into unintentional comedy, like:
“he has figured out a way to become invisible!” wink wink or the very ‘i know what you did last summer’ “what are you waiting for!!” shot of Moss waving her arms, and probably some more.
But it’s so well acted it sells even its dumb moments enough for you to keep forgetting about them until after the movie is over. Moss is so good. So so good. Everyone is good here, but Peggy is just too good.

I’ve not seen the original (only the Kevin Bacon one which I loved in my good ole preschool days lol), so I’ll refrain from comparisons. But I don’t see the film’s focal point and scaled down ambition from the titular character as a flaw here.

What I really really did not like? The film’s last few minutes.
It’s greatest scare is not the costume itself, the physical violence or the jump scares, but the maddening psychological torment and gaslighting that feels horrifyingly real. For a film unafraid to present a possibility of a not-so-satisfying resolution for a person we root for, to have that person use that same tactic to “win” the story feels conflictive because afterwards the character vents out this jarring reaction that feels both like an “aha! now you know how shitty it feels to be gaslighted!” and also this big moment of justice, but it lands wrong and alienates you because it’s aimed at a wrong person and thus, justice is not really fully served to the single person who deserved it the most - Adrian. He dies with the help of his own “gun”, which is also such a massive cliche lol, but ends up never experiencing even a 1/100th of the damage he inflicted.

Also at the very end you just can’t be sure if you’re not watching an episode of the handmaid’s tale and idk if it’s really a positive
^This doesn’t really thwart my opinion of this movie as much as what I wrote above would probably make it seem, but like I wish the movie would have chosen a less primitive way out of a pretty complicated story, because up until that moment it’s pretty harrowing and cool