Christine (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Film about Christine Chubbuck's on air suicide starring Rebecca Hall debuts at Sundance

Everyone knows how Christine Chubbuck’s story ends; why it ended that way is another question altogether, and one even a film as astute and exquisitely considered as Antonio Campos’ “Christine” can’t hope to answer in full. Instead, it’s a real-life drama of jangling variables and charged blank spaces, teasing out the tangled personal yearnings and failings that somehow led a smart, attractive, 29-year-old news reporter to blow her brains out on live television in 1974. Far from the austere death march it might threaten to be on paper, this is a thrumming, heartsore, sometimes viciously funny character study, sensitive both to the singularities of Chubbuck’s psychological collapse and the indignities weathered by any woman in a 1970s newsroom. Invigorated by a top-drawer ensemble, with Rebecca Hall discomfitingly electric in the best role she’s yet been offered, this should easily become Campos’ most widely distributed work to date.
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/ch ... 201687262/
Hall completely immerses herself in the role of Christine Chubbuck in Campos’s stark retelling of the story that led to the television news reporter’s suicide live on air, aged 29, in 1974. It’s one of two films on the subject at Sundance this year – the other is the documentary Kate Plays Christine.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/ja ... rror-story

Hall is getting rave reviews for her performance and this specific story has always interested me. It's good to see her talents not go to waste for once.

I saw this on Facebook this morning, and I immediately read up on the story. Hall has impressed all the way back to The Prestige (shit... nearly 10 years since that came out), and this sounds like such a juicy role for her. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this.

Yep, been following this. Very excited for it.

Reviews are saying the supporting cast are very excellent as well even if the film is a Rebecca Hall powerhouse.
Though it might appear to be a one-woman showcase, “Christine” is also a delicately balanced and apportioned ensemble piece — as perceptive in its way as Tom McCarthy’s far less fractious “Spotlight” in studying the human machinery that marks and makes news. Letts steams with exasperation without succumbing to cartoonish dinosaur fury. Maria Dizzia, unexpectedly handed a crucial emotive stretch of the film, does invaluable work from the sidelines as Chubbuck’s notional protegee, sympathetic to her superior’s disintegration while keeping a tactical distance. And Michael C. Hall is typically excellent as an alpha-male-in-training who manipulates affections more brutally than he means to: A soused, insecure monologue in which he unpacks a recurring nightmare about shoelaces is among the film’s most inspired moments of conjoined scripting and performance.
I'm not familiar with how festival circuits and distribution works. Can someone explain to me how or when we the general public might be able to see this film?

Could be any time this year. I believe this still has to get a distributor which of course it will based on these reviews. It all depends where they want to release it.

This project sounds ripe for someone like A24 to scoop up.

The Film Stage ‏@TheFilmStage
Antonio Campos' 'Christine' hits theaters October 14th.

My most anticipated performance of this year. These posters look dope, and Hall looks right on point.

Insane number of promising movies, and performances, coming our way.