Cruella (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Let's be clear: framing the villain as a tortured, sad, lonely individual who is just misunderstood by everyone else is not something I can really get behind because the film still needs to understand that that character may think of themselves that way but that their actions say something entirely different about who they are as a person.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 7:15 am
You have to be a diabolic monster to kill puppies, but if you kill cow calves and chicks you get a pass.
I try to stick to vegetarian diet for the same reason but even I just can't bear another of your upity posts. We already knew it, you're not enlightining anyone here, just being your unbearable as always self with a nuance-free moral high ground. One wrong does not make another right.

Batfan175 wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 12:07 pm
Let's be clear: framing the villain as a tortured, sad, lonely individual who is just misunderstood by everyone else is not something I can really get behind because the film still needs to understand that that character may think of themselves that way but that their actions say something entirely different about who they are as a person.
Actually I agree with this in most contexts. I much prefer to see a movie about a villain where they are... the villain, like Patrick Bateman. Then use that to try to tell a compelling message about the world, the culture, the 80's or whatever. But giving them "excuses" often regresses to justifying their actions and making them into an anti-hero or a plain hero, which kind of defeats the purpose of making a "villain movie" and it often recycles the same old story beats.

Hmm, why can't I see the nuance in murdering other sentient living things? I wonder.

They’re just animals.

This looks like steaming dog shit (pun intended)

I'm pretty sure I just find Emma's hot. Imma name my daughter "Emma."

lmao