Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) DEUX YOU BLEED?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition

Resolves issues I had about being sort of confused about the plot. Some things are still muddy though (I still don't get the writing on newspapers and send them to Bruce thing, who did that? why?). Definitely doesn't feel rushed anymore, but it's no less exhausting. Lex still seems like the Joker with more money basically, and Eisenberg's performance comes across as just as convoluted and over-the-top.

It also confirmed an issue I was on the fence about. I don't like this iteration of Batman. While the philosophical debate at the heart of the film is an interesting one, and I think it's certainly explored in a neat way, the approach taken with Bats almost ruins it, IMO. Affleck is serviceable enough and the overall design is neat, but a Batman who kills intentionally just sort of destroys the character. It also makes it really difficult to side with the character at all when all Superman does really is kill inadvertently. Sure, you could argue Bruce has just sort of gone fucking mental, but I don't see much reason for it.

I'll double down on the fact that overriding themes in the story play out nicely. The god/devil/heaven & hell thing running throughout is cool. I don't think it's poorly or carelessly written, it's a fucking mess. It also still feels like several different comic book stories mashed into one, and it feels like DC is trying to kill 5 birds with a pebble.

Fucking love WW still, and Zimmer's theme for her.
I actually think making Batman a killer due to being jaded that after countless times of locking away x, y, and z supervillain and stopping Gotham from blowing up... nothing ever changes... nothing is ever fixed... nothing ever gets much better... is a novel idea. For a limited series comic. NOT for the definitive version of Batman. It's a ballsy, cool idea on Snyder's part. Maybe the only ballsy cool idea in the whole fucking movie I think.

-Vader

Yeah perhaps I just need to actually see what jaded him, which hopefully the new film will do. Like, it would have been neat to see more backstory there, which we've seen with Supes in MoS.

Ivan wrote:I'm really asking, because you guys sometimes all look the same to me
im brown you racist fuk

Vader, that goes against the very essence of what makes Batman who he is as a character though. His only super power aside from being super rich is his absurdly, almost superhuman, will power. He is tested on such an extreme level over and over again, sometimes coming close to the point of no return, but he never does. Having a Batman who gave in after battling for so long and just said "fuck it" only makes Nolan's Batman look even more incredible. Nolan and his team simply understood the character to the absolute while Snyder's entire basis is "Well, wouldn't THIS be cool?"

Which in turn makes the idea not cool.

Snyder needs to be schooled that Punisher and Batman are different characters.

Cilogy wrote:(I still don't get the writing on newspapers and send them to Bruce thing, who did that? why?)
Lex did that. He even admits it and mentions why he did it during his exchange with Supes.

Vader182 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition

Resolves issues I had about being sort of confused about the plot. Some things are still muddy though (I still don't get the writing on newspapers and send them to Bruce thing, who did that? why?). Definitely doesn't feel rushed anymore, but it's no less exhausting. Lex still seems like the Joker with more money basically, and Eisenberg's performance comes across as just as convoluted and over-the-top.

It also confirmed an issue I was on the fence about. I don't like this iteration of Batman. While the philosophical debate at the heart of the film is an interesting one, and I think it's certainly explored in a neat way, the approach taken with Bats almost ruins it, IMO. Affleck is serviceable enough and the overall design is neat, but a Batman who kills intentionally just sort of destroys the character. It also makes it really difficult to side with the character at all when all Superman does really is kill inadvertently. Sure, you could argue Bruce has just sort of gone fucking mental, but I don't see much reason for it.

I'll double down on the fact that overriding themes in the story play out nicely. The god/devil/heaven & hell thing running throughout is cool. I don't think it's poorly or carelessly written, it's a fucking mess. It also still feels like several different comic book stories mashed into one, and it feels like DC is trying to kill 5 birds with a pebble.

Fucking love WW still, and Zimmer's theme for her.
I actually think making Batman a killer due to being jaded that after countless times of locking away x, y, and z supervillain and stopping Gotham from blowing up... nothing ever changes... nothing is ever fixed... nothing ever gets much better... is a novel idea. For a limited series comic. NOT for the definitive version of Batman. It's a ballsy, cool idea on Snyder's part. Maybe the only ballsy cool idea in the whole fucking movie I think.

-Vader
It would have been a novel idea... if he decided to kill actual criminals and not an innocent being :P This makes him feel either racist (he wants to kill Superman just because he's related to Kryptonians yet had nothing to do with their attack - metaphor for Islamobhopia) or just stupid (wanting to kill a person before they've done anything bad because... they might do something bad). Either way he is a despicable person and not my batman.

LelekPL wrote:This makes him feel either racist (he wants to kill Superman just because he's related to Kryptonians yet had nothing to do with their attack - metaphor for Islamobhopia) or just stupid (wanting to kill a person before they've done anything bad because... they might do something bad).
Wait what.

ChristNolan wrote:Vader, that goes against the very essence of what makes Batman who he is as a character though. His only super power aside from being super rich is his absurdly, almost superhuman, will power. He is tested on such an extreme level over and over again, sometimes coming close to the point of no return, but he never does. Having a Batman who gave in after battling for so long and just said "fuck it" only makes Nolan's Batman look even more incredible. Nolan and his team simply understood the character to the absolute while Snyder's entire basis is "Well, wouldn't THIS be cool?"

Which in turn makes the idea not cool.
Having a different interpretation of a character means he doesn't understand the character? Nolan Batman was active for 2 years at most and then gave up because his sort of girlfriend dies. So much for his will power. What does that say about Nolan's understanding of Batman? A dude who turned the anger and sadness of the most horrible moment in his life into the Batman. Now says fuck it, gives up on life as it is. For 8 years!

RIFA wrote:
Cilogy wrote:(I still don't get the writing on newspapers and send them to Bruce thing, who did that? why?)
Lex did that. He even admits it and mentions why he did it during his exchange with Supes.
Must have missed it.