His Dark Materials (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm not very pumped to finish watching this tbh... It's one of the more frustrating shows this year.

They say finale was truly epic.

I'll watch the entire show soonish, Watchmen and Witcher got me.

hmm k

might give it a go

got three eps to watch

I'm in the same boat. I have the last two episodes on my DVR, but I can't muster up the interest to watch'em. The show just never grabbed me.

Usually I think shows like these spend too much time on world building, but this one could of done some more. I'm still no totally sure what "dust" is, and what the "magisterium" is and how it functions/came to power in the world the story is telling. Also, could use a little more background/development on these"witches" flying around in the last episode I watched.

I have some issues with this show, but that was a strong finale.

Ugh idk how I feel about this show. Something just feels so off about it, like the way they try to hide and reveal the mythology is very frustrating. I really think Jack Thorne should not come back to write S2.

Just finished it. Must say the last three episodes fare better than the ones before, it's actually pretty good. I just found the whole gypsy-arc that took in a chunk of the season a huge bore and consist of poor world building. Speaking of world building, they mostly succeed but aspects like the gypsies and the 'real' world being put in take out the momentum in the latter half of the season by quite a large margin. They could've left out a lot of the real world and focus more on the world that the majority of the story takes place in.

The daemons often look very convincing and the polar bears look downright impressive, I continued being impressed by the VFX. But I do pity that they couldn't future the daemons even more. I hope they will in season 2.

Whenever the story focuses on Lyra and Coulter, it shows that's where the heart of the show lies and just how good it can be.
I still think McAvoy overacts (which he often does) but his scene with Wilson is pretty good.
MVP of the season is definitely Wilson btw, I mean Mrs Coulter is a great character and she just aces it. She brings the complexity to life.

Anybody watching season 2?

Just watched the first episode and tbh, I find the over-acting from multiple actors becoming a bit too much already lol

Keen is great of course

Nomis wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Anybody watching season 2?

Just watched the first episode and tbh, I find the over-acting from multiple actors becoming a bit too much already lol

Keen is great of course
Seen all four!

Love. It.

Incredible production value, actors are giving it all. As a fan of the series, this does it justice if you separate book from adaptation, as always.