His Dark Materials (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
aight this is looking good

Watched the Golden Compass when it came out, never read the books. This looks interesting enough.

Yeah I also watched The Golden Compass when it came out

I’m not sure why this series gets so much attention when there are so many other, better fairy stories out there to adapt.

anikom15 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 7:12 pm
I’m not sure why this series gets so much attention when there are so many other, better fairy stories out there to adapt.
Have you red the books or is it an outsider perspective based on that one adaptation?

It gets attention because it’s classic literature by now but also the controversy regarding some of the first two books and the entirety of the third one. It gets saucy to say the least.

I read the when I was a child, but the themes of religious authority went completely over my head because I was far more interested in the world of daemons and polar bears. The movie appealed to me when I was 10, but in retrospect, it's very watered down thematically.

m4st4 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 8:43 pm
anikom15 wrote:
Have you red the books or is it an outsider perspective based on that one adaptation?

It gets attention because it’s classic literature by now but also the controversy regarding some of the first two books and the entirety of the third one. It gets saucy to say the least.
I wouldn’t call it a classic by any means. Of course you think Spider-Man is literature. I’m not sure how popular the books really were; it’s popularity feels more forced than organic in all honesty.

anikom15 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 10:23 pm
m4st4 wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

I wouldn’t call it a classic by any means. Of course you think Spider-Man is literature. I’m not sure how popular the books really were; it’s popularity feels more forced than organic in all honesty.
You didn’t really give me any indication that you’ve red the books and know what I’m talking about, which is a shame since I actually responded to you expecting a solid forum interaction. I teach His Dark Materials as part of the official government approved curiculum for three years now. You even managed to throw in a tiny troll in there, which works as a good enough reminder that you’re a waste of time. Won’t happen again.

m4st4 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 12:56 am
anikom15 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 10:23 pm
m4st4 wrote:

You didn’t really give me any indication that you’ve red the books and know what I’m talking about, which is a shame since I actually responded to you expecting a solid forum interaction. I teach His Dark Materials as part of the official government approved curiculum for three years now. You even managed to throw in a tiny troll in there, which works as a good enough reminder that you’re a waste of time. Won’t happen again.
I don’t think it’s the place to go into an in-depth discussion about the literary merits of various fantasies. I personally think there is a wealth of more interesting material suitable for adaptation than tripe written years ago.

Oku
MagnarTheGreat wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 9:21 pm
First thirty seconds with Mr. McAvoy had me giddy, but then as the trailer went on and he disappeared, so too did my excitement wane.