His Dark Materials (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

In my veins.

Anybody got the new book (The Secret Commonwealth) yet? It was published yesterday.

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE BOOK?

Fans of the books will be glad to know that care has been taken to get it right this time. From what I’ve seen so far, nothing of consequence has been left out. — Robert Lloyd, The Los Angeles Times
Despite the rich complexities of the novel’s world of daemons, power-hungry players and warring faiths, HBO’s “His Dark Materials” feels like it could have been plucked from most any other fantasy epic out there. — Caroline Framke, Variety
National Treasure screenwriter (and screenwriting national treasure) Jack Thorne has pulled off the improbable if not quite the impossible, delivering an engaging and sumptuous take on Pullman’s world that cleaves impressively close to the books while still making a few tweaks for the visual medium. — Huw Fullerton, Radio Times

DOES THE ENSEMBLE CAST DELIVER?

Keen is spellbinding. She is modern enough not to alienate the younger audience members but also possesses a sort of old-fashioned pluck that helps to propel the action. Among the adult cast, James McAvoy is commanding as Asriel, while Ruth Wilson’s Mrs. Coulter is like an irresistibly enigmatic screen siren from a Forties film noir. — Ben Lawrence, Daily Telegraph
Dafne Keen, recognisable from 2017 X-Men film Logan, plays main character Lyra with willfulness and spark. James McAvoy is terrific as her Byronic uncle Lord Asriel, while you’d call Ruth Wilson a revelation as the glamorous and mysterious Mrs Coulter if she weren’t always this watchable. — Louisa Mellor, Den of Geek
Only Lin-Manuel Miranda, as “aeronaut for hire” Lee Scoresby, hits a false note. The actor wears his fedora at a determinedly rakish tilt, but his swagger (and his intermittent Southern drawl) are more playacting than performance. — Kristen Baldwin, EW

SO, IS THIS THE NEXT GAME OF THRONES?

This is an ambitious series that tackles some lofty themes about power and faith while still giving us spectacular special effects and thrilling action sequences. In short, this is HBO’s first series that has the scale of Game of Thrones but is accessible for all ages. — Alex Maidy, JoBlo’s Movie Emporium
His Dark Materials is very much a fantasy series made in the aftermath of Game of Thrones, with the story’s more fantastical elements given as much weight as the conspiratorial mysteries and complicated character dynamics. — Hoi-Tran-Bui, SlashFilm

This season follows the first book, right?

antovolk wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm
i can't believe it's been 10 years of inception trailer sounds. brings a tear to my eye

Anybody get a chance to watch this yet?

i find the over the top anti-organized religious didactic "reddit atheist" vibe of the source material forever lacking and bad, but this is okay. clearly they spent money. it's edited within an inch of its life, there's like 2 scenes that last longer than 40 seconds.

also, about 30 seconds in I asked myself "what the fuck is up with the camera" only to find out Tom Hooper directed the pilot. So of course it looks ridiculous.

-Vader

:lol:

I think I'll binge this in my christmas holiday

Forum Pro
Law
I know nothing about the material but Dafne Keen is great. I also turned it off with 15min left though