His Dark Materials (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just saw the first episode. Dafne Keen and Ruth Wilson were perfect IMO.

Vader182 wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 2:01 am
i find the over the top anti-organized religious didactic "reddit atheist" vibe of the source material forever lacking and bad, but this is okay. clearly they spent money. it's edited within an inch of its life, there's like 2 scenes that last longer than 40 seconds.

also, about 30 seconds in I asked myself "what the fuck is up with the camera" only to find out Tom Hooper directed the pilot. So of course it looks ridiculous.

-Vader
*Richard Dawkins quip from twenty years ago*

All I'll say is for those unaware of the source material - this is gonna go places (in fact ep 2 is already doing a lot of the bigger stuff earlier than the books are) Also, looks like it's three seasons then basically done (unless they want to also adapt The Book of Dust trilogy).

antovolk wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 6:18 am
All I'll say is for those unaware of the source material - this is gonna go places (in fact ep 2 is already doing a lot of the bigger stuff earlier than the books are).
I was delighted the multiverse is shown this early.

antovolk wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 6:18 am
All I'll say is for those unaware of the source material - this is gonna go places (in fact ep 2 is already doing a lot of the bigger stuff earlier than the books are) Also, looks like it's three seasons then basically done (unless they want to also adapt The Book of Dust trilogy).
its interesting people are complaining this is "slavish" to the source when it's making significant diversions like this.

ep 2 was also 'fine'

-Vader

That episode was.. idk but Thorne's writing isn't cutting it for me while Ruth elevates the script

So with Hooper no longer directing, this show is starting to move into the right direction lol

The intro credits tune is fire btw

Wilson is amazing and someone had a huge glow up like how is that even possible
Also, the VFX on this show are pretty damn good. The animals look very lifelike. If there's one aspect so far I'm not really feeling it's the gypsies but I know that's like the emotional core of the season so far

Not really liking this right now. I haven't read the books and barely remember anything about the earlier movie except talking Polar Bears.

The story needs some forward momentum. It has been three episodes of set-up and exposition about dust, magisterium, gobblers, scholastic sanctuary, etc. And I really have no idea what anything is, still.

I'm disappointed in one thing with this series:
The dæmons do not feel alive. I get that it's very hard to portray them like in the books (due to CGI and need of additional voice actors), but the show hasn't shown the intimacy between humans and their dæmons. The most glaring example: After Pan was forcibly touched by Mrs. Coulter's dæmon, Lyra didn't even speak to Pan when she cried in her room.

Latest episode might be my favorite. Felt more tight and focused than the others. Watchmen on Sunday, this on Monday. Pretty good fantastical 1-2 by HBO