South Park (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm not sure how we don't have a topic for this. We have topics about a specific episode in different parts of this forum but no sole topic.

So far Season 19 has been amazing.

"Stunning and Brave"
"Where My Country Gone?"
"The City Part of Town"
"You're Not Yelping"

Tonight's episode was hilarious, they haven't truly missed a mark this season. As an aspiring Architect, CtPaTown was so satisfying. I think my favorite episode has probably been Where My Country Gone?

Has no one been keeping up with this season!?
This is amazing, I don't think I've seen South Park this strong in years

I'm loving it.

South Park vs China is about to go down on their 300th episode this week (even though last week South Park threw a really controversial punch against them).

Anyone keeping up with this? It is insane how prophetic Trey & Matt are

4N Legend wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm
South Park vs China is about to go down on their 300th episode this week (even though last week South Park threw a really controversial punch against them).

Reports indicate the Chinese government has officially banned South Park, including any mention of it on the internet.

On a somewhat similar note, New York City passed a law that can fine an individual up to $250k if they say the words "illegal alien" to someone. Looks like the U.S. is becoming more and more like China in regards to infringing on the inalienable free speech rights of all individuals.

Skyab23 wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 6:22 pm
4N Legend wrote:

Reports indicate the Chinese government has officially banned South Park, including any mention of it on the internet.

On a somewhat similar note, New York City passed a law that can fine an individual up to $250k if they say the words "illegal alien" to someone. Looks like the U.S. is becoming more and more like China in regards to infringing on the inalienable free speech rights of all individuals.
It's only fined in cases where it's used as hate speech and a racial slur, which is already fined and unlawful in most liberal democracies including most of Europe.

If you use hate speech in the UK, you can easily wind up imprisoned depending on context. This is the United States catching up with most of the civilized world, where many other countries don't tolerate, conflate or confuse "freedom of speech" and "hate speech."

-Vader

Skyab23 wrote:
4N Legend wrote:

Yep they completely scrubbed any shred of South Park digitally. China is heading in a very bad direction, especially regarding Daryl Morey's Hong Kong comments and how the NBA quivered to appease China's attempt to silence said comments

Skyab23 wrote:
4N Legend wrote:

Don’t call someone an illegal alien. Seems pretty easy to me! Also, what Vader said.

I remember when I was 3 I literally had a resident alien card. That's what it said on the card. Something about it really does not sit right with me. And I was legal and even then they dehumanize you in this really weird and strange way.

Just some perspective to look back on from someone who was legally referred to as an alien if you ever feel the need to call someone an "illegal alien."

Vader182 wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Skyab23 wrote:
4N Legend wrote:

It's only fined in cases where it's used as hate speech and a racial slur, which is already fined and unlawful in most liberal democracies including most of Europe.

If you use hate speech in the UK, you can easily wind up imprisoned depending on context. This is the United States catching up with most of the civilized world, where many other countries don't tolerate, conflate or confuse "freedom of speech" and "hate speech."

-Vader
You're advocating for bureacrats to imprison people for what they deem as "hate speech?" Do you know how broad a definition that would/could increasingly be used to stifle freedom of expression? You say the U.S. is "catching up with the civilized world," and yet I would argue just the opposite. We have a Bill of Rights for a reason, in this case, freedom of speech/expression with the 1st Amendment which prohibits government from restricting speech. I have no doubt that the NYC law prohibiting the use of the phrase, "illegal alien" will be struck down for its blantant violation of the 1st Amendment. Freedom of speech, even hateful speech as bad as it is, is more important to be preserved and protected than granting the government to censor what they deem as inappropriate.

The U.S. was founded upon the bedrock of liberty and individualism, whereas these other more "civilized countries" you admire restrict the rights and liberties of the individual with the stroke of a pen from government officials. As a natural extension to your support of such a policy that NYC has passed, would you also support comedians been restricted from using certain jokes as they may offend? What about films? Should films be restricted from depiciting "hate images" or "hate speech" because they may be controversial to some?

To stay on topic, China's government has made a decision to censor a show of satire. You believe governments should restrict speech from being uttered because it may hurt someone's feelings. Hate speech is awful, we all agree with this. But to ban certain words by the the threat of government force is such a dangerous concept to the ideals of freedom, that it will undoubtedly lead to the subversion of your intended goals--and instead be used to stifle freedom of expression.

P.S. I have no doubt that during the American Revolution, you would have been in fierce opposition to the colonies creating their own free and independent government.