mother! (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's dangerous to talk about the dynamics of relationship leads around here. Maybe it's better to stop talking about the age difference or there'll be someone here who'll say that sex between fathers and daughters is alright :P

shauner111 wrote:Art imitates life I guess.
Funnily enough, I was yesterday reading about this on wiki (lol) and clicked on hers, and there's a quote of her saying she doesn't experience what her characters go through or something like that, as in, life doesn't imitate art in her case. I think it's old, but still, thought it was funny.

@Blair, it's just an old tale of the industry being ageist as hell towards women in general. I have near zero interest in who's banging who irl, etc., but in movies, actresses are mostly valuable while they're young and pretty. If you miss the boat by the end of your late 20/early 30s, a good chance is that you're mostly done. While for male actors, their 30s and 40s are kind of their golden years. So of course people are gonna play by the old stereotype of handsome older hunks getting young women as their love interests. It would be kind of cool if the opposite - older women and younger guys were as normalized in both society and industry as this.

I notice I am starting to open a big can of worms here, but it is a culture in Hollywood I really feel needs to move on from. I hate generalising when it comes to films because each individual film has their own intent, but it is a habit that is shown frequently (Woody Allen is a main perpetrator in that area), and it riddles me with craziness.

Ruth wrote:@Blair, it's just an old tale of the industry being ageist as hell towards women in general. I have near zero interest in who's banging who irl, etc., but in movies, actresses are mostly valuable while they're young and pretty. If you miss the boat by the end of your late 20/early 30s, a good chance is that you're mostly done. While for male actors, their 30s and 40s are kind of their golden years. So of course people are gonna play by the old stereotype of handsome older hunks getting young women as their love interests. It would be kind of cool if the opposite - older women and younger guys were as normalized in both society and industry as this.
Depends on how the individual is going to age, really.

BlairCo wrote:I notice I am starting to open a big can of worms here, but it is a culture in Hollywood I really feel needs to move on from. I hate generalising when it comes to films because each individual film has their own intent, but it is a habit that is shown frequently (Woody Allen is a main perpetrator in that area), and it riddles me with craziness.
I'm so glad you opened because it needed to be said.
Casting women in their 20's to play love interest of men in their 40's is the main reason why roles for actresses dry up by the time they reach mid 30's.
Right now Stone, Lawrence and Vikander are the flavour of the month so to speak. I give them 5 years until Hollywood moves on and they're dumped where Anne Hathaway seems to be now.

Fortunately, some actresses are taking the matter into their own hand by creating more projects where they can get meatier roles.

I agree with BlairCo. It's both that Lawrence can't convince me she plays older women and is married/love-interest of men twice her age.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Ruth wrote:@Blair, it's just an old tale of the industry being ageist as hell towards women in general. I have near zero interest in who's banging who irl, etc., but in movies, actresses are mostly valuable while they're young and pretty. If you miss the boat by the end of your late 20/early 30s, a good chance is that you're mostly done. While for male actors, their 30s and 40s are kind of their golden years. So of course people are gonna play by the old stereotype of handsome older hunks getting young women as their love interests. It would be kind of cool if the opposite - older women and younger guys were as normalized in both society and industry as this.
Depends on how the individual is going to age, really.
Which is terrible in its own way, for both male and female actors. It's already super hard to get into entertainment industry if you don't literally look like a god, and for girls, despite their talent, roles dry up by the time they start to age more. It's just not excusable really. Same goes for men, but let's be real, they do get a bit more leeway when it comes to outer appearance.

They get a lot more leeway tbh. But was it ever thus.

You have to really fuck up how you look as a bloke to ruin your career. Like Mickey Rourke perhaps.

Forum Pro
Allen films sort of get a pass from me, because the age gap is often part of the point in a mid-life crisis scenario (though i still can’t help but squirm sometimes knowing the guy’s personal life)

Bond gets a pass, because he’s a womanizing character

but yeah, i’m generally not a fan of casting women who could be the leading man’s daughter

(interesting chart with Lawrence, i thought she was older than that lol)

Michaelf2225 wrote:but yeah, i’m generally not a fan of casting women who could be the leading man’s daughter
Makes you wonder about all those Hollywood life scandals. :lol:
I kid I kid or do I?