Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Potential spoilers for the movie I guess.
Lionsgate is developing a sequel to “Sicario” that will center on
Benicio Del Toro’s mysterious hitman.
The project is being overseen by Taylor Sheridan, the writer of the acclaimed thriller. Director Denis Villeneuve is also involved, although it’s early in the process and it’s not clear if he would come on board to direct.

“Before the release of this movie, I was talking to Denis and I said what happened to this character?” said Patrick Wachsberger, co-chair of the studio’s motion picture group. “Where is
Benicio
going?”
http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office ... 201599035/

A sequel centered on that character sounds better in my mind instead of in reality. That was my favorite character from the film, but I'm not sure if a stand-alone film could work.

I don't know what to think about this. I mean, this could potentially work just fine but it's not the kind of film that warrants a sequel.

The only reason I would want to see a sequel is if the focus is solely on Alejandro.

I don't need another film with Blunt's character.

Lionsgate and Black Label Media are getting closer to a production start on Soldado, the second installment of the drug war thriller that began with 2015’s Sicario. I’m told that Stefano Sollima is the frontrunner to direct the second installment and should have the job shortly, with talks expected to wrap up quickly. Denis Villenueve directed the first film. Sollima is the Italian director who has made a number of memorably gritty crime thrillers, but is best known for directing the Italian miniseries Gomorra, and the features Suburra and A.C.A.B. (All Cops Are Bastards). The sequel was scripted by Taylor Sheridan. Black Label Media and Lionsgate are co-financing.

It focuses on Alejandro Gillick, the shadowy Man on Fire-like protagonist played by Benicio Del Toro, and Josh Brolin’s CIA agent Matt Graver, who in the first film established themselves as hellbent on hunting down cartel kingpins, no matter what. The script by Sheridan — who wrote the original — has been very well received. Gone is the principled FBI agent character played by Emily Blunt. The subject matter is very topical, as Gillick and Graver concern themselves with what is being smuggled across the border between Mexico and the U.S. in the tunnels used to move drugs and illegal immigrants. Those tunnels can also be used to bring terrorists into the U.S. The sequel is being produced by Thunder Road’s Basil Iwanyk, Black Label’s Molly Smith and Thad and Trent Luckinbill, and Edward McDonnell. I’m told that the plan is to move into production by the fall and that the talent has all sparked to Sollima. Final meetings with the studio are happening shortly.
http://deadline.com/2016/06/sicario-seq ... 201765978/

let's not and say we did

This sounds so stupid I seriously almost cannot believe it's actually happening.

I'm down for this.

We'll see.