Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The action scenes were great, but it felt like it took soooo get to them. I wasn't really that thrilled with the Halo jump scene honestly. If I didn't know Cruise had done 106 takes of that jump, I would have guessed it would have been shot in a studio somewhere. Hell, the video he did with James Corden was more exciting than the one in the movie.
And I think the fact that they flew through a storm kind of took away the genuineness of the stunt.
I guess I don't like my action movies being self-aware. You can make a joke about a trope, but once it becomes a running joke throughout the movie, that's when I tune out. I was honestly getting sick of the whole gag of Ethan saying "I'll figure it out" just before he was about the do the huge ass stunt.

Can’t add nothing to it really, it’s up to personal preference. I saw it as a true contemporary evolution of Indy’s mantra. Not to mention how the stunts were done in a Raiders of the Lost Ark manner - real people, real danger, breathtaking to watch and guaranteed hold in quality over the years. That’s what separates a classic from a mere good action movie. Only time will tell of course but I truly believe this is the proper way, do it genuinely and with heart. When Cruise says ‘I’ll figure it out’ and you see that camera on him and how high he actually is... it’s both frightening and exhilirating.

BlairCo wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 6:06 am
The action scenes were great, but it felt like it took soooo get to them. I wasn't really that thrilled with the Halo jump scene honestly. If I didn't know Cruise had done 106 takes of that jump, I would have guessed it would have been shot in a studio somewhere. Hell, the video he did with James Corden was more exciting than the one in the movie.
And I think the fact that they flew through a storm kind of took away the genuineness of the stunt.
I guess I don't like my action movies being self-aware. You can make a joke about a trope, but once it becomes a running joke throughout the movie, that's when I tune out. I was honestly getting sick of the whole gag of Ethan saying "I'll figure it out" just before he was about the do the huge ass stunt.
what a boring way to watch movies

-Vader

I'm glad that everyone's opinion is respected around here. :roll:

I felt the same way with the HALO jump scene. The best way to make somebody believe something was done for real is to make it look like... well... it was done for real. When there are CGI elements all around you, it looks significantly less convincing as a result and makes it seem like it didn't actually have to be done for real. Same was true for the underwater scene in Rogue Nation. All of the things with the person spinning really fast and the camera going in the whirlpool effect at quick speeds makes it essentially feel really fake. I applaud the stunts and love the scenes, but I just wish it looked more convincing.

As far as the recurring "I'll figure it out" line, I think this was yet again another moment of self-awareness inserted by McQuarrie. In Rogue Nation, both Hunt and Lane reveal to each other that they planned for the same exact moment in time to occur so that they could anticipate what to do next (being many steps ahead). This is actually how most of the films have worked out, except in Ghost Protocol when virtually none of their technology worked as hoped. Anyway, I think this was their response to RN by saying: "Yeah, they really haven't thought but five minutes in front of their faces. Good luck to them, I guess!"

Despite all that, in my long review you'll see what I had to say about the film and where the action scenes felt really earned by the moments that occur in between them all. As long as the movie was, I never felt it was overlong whatsoever. Good, but not 10/10 good.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 30th, 2018, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 9:41 am
BlairCo wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 6:06 am
what a boring way to watch movies

-Vader
‘I never troll-post.’ -Vader

Dude didn’t like the movie as much, so what.

I'm not trolling. I'm criticizing Blair for watching movies through a lens that trivializes an entire world of amazing cinema. Ghost Protocol, the most self-aware in the series, isn't any more self aware than, say, North By Northwest.

But hey, if something doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 12:57 pm
I'm not trolling. I'm criticizing Blair for watching movies through a lens that trivializes an entire world of amazing cinema. Ghost Protocol, the most self-aware in the series, isn't any more self aware than, say, North By Northwest.

But hey, if something doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you.

-Vader
I’m sure he’ll speak for himself later on but I’ve seen him like enough wide-eyed/self-aware/pure fun movies to put this one under some sort of anomaly or just personal taste. M:I movies are pretty specific and there’s a reason these movies can’t book the same bag of money as, say, F&F, which is the epithome of self-aware, uhm... almost cartoonishness lately. But to each its own.

Now that I think about it, look how many people are (still) not caught up on the series, not just on this forum. I had to text a pitch to my friend so we can watch Fallout together over the weekend, and he’s supposed to be a cinephile. I guess spy genre really is almost niche for many people.

I feel like that distaste to self awareness is akin to how people find the tonal incongruence in Marvel films to be unsettling

Different strokes

Official budget post insurance cuts confirmed as 178 mil.

WW b.o. after three days is close to 160 mil. Healthy overseas numbers even without many major markets. Good. 8-)

Studio might not let Cruise perform his stunts now.