Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well yeah. :P

I guess I just second guess myself when I see his constant influence. I mean the great Rob Liefield said...

ArmandFancypants wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 10:53 am
Well yeah. :P

I guess I just second guess myself when I see his constant influence. I mean the great Rob Liefield said...
We can go into the weeds with this, but

I was going to pitch an article around this week before work started kicking my ass, I might still do it next week depending.

But it was basically going to be on how Fallout is the first movie post-TDK to absolutely nail the balance of heightened stakes and drama and scale without smothering (at all) the fleet footedness and fun necessary in a film of this kind. Fallout's really as masterful a balancing act of tone and style as I've seen for a film of this kind in years.

-Vader

^ an article i definitely want to read, should you get around to it
I think there's a pretty significant parallel between the boats and the two nukes (besides there being two of them, of course). The film sets itself so brilliantly in tone and execution that for the first time since TDK, I thought it might be possible the bombs might actually go off - despite knowing that could never happen in a studio blockbuster like this. It's a masterclass in construction, and you can see the Nolan influences from the literal countdown, to the story beats, to the constant cross-cutting, to the use of a different aspect ratio for IMAX sequences. i can't wait for my second viewing tonight.

Spot on.

Also, well, Inception locations and Balfe's full-on Zimmer pastiche (which is fucking wonderful)

m4st4 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Dodd wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 7:25 pm
How about Baldwin hamming it up in this one. Yikes.

Great flick doe
Is that how you call a great actor bringing emotion but also levity to the scenes.
dude was painfully overacting in every second of screen time he got.

You guys are both correct. Another major thing--without totallygiving away where I'm headed here--is that it nails the Skyfall/TDKR/Spectre thing of bringing the entire franchise full circle in a way that delivers on the necessary emotion (that for once feels totally earned), without dipping into complete pomposity and self-importance.

A great example is, perhaps, to be made between Lane and Blofeld's very similar speeches ;).

This wasn't the cited as an an influence by McQuarrie, but the overall structure reminded me way more of The Raid II (which I think is the best -straight- action movie of the decade, unless you count Fury Road) than TDK. There's a sense of operatic narrative connecting a series of completely insane action set pieces that are all totally distinct from one another and are all having a go, almost, at a "version" of all timer set pieces.

-Vader

Definitely got Raid II vibes

God damn, imagine if Spectre was even half as good as this

Fuck just thinking about that car chase tho

Spectre's car chase was laughably one of the most uninspiring action scenes of the decade (for a film with such high expectation behind it, at least).

By the way, that podcast shows exactly how much power/control Tom Cruise has over these films.

Just got back

This was fucking amazing

Easily the best film of the franchise

Those crazy ass stunts

Dat fine af music

fucking loved every second of it, it's the perfect Mission Impossible film

Are we doing an NF-O-Meter MV?