Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This is great, so is Black Panther; I don't understand why they need to be compared. I guess they both fall under the 'popular film' umbrella but they're still pretty different.

anarchy wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 10:06 pm
This is great, so is Black Panther; I don't understand why they need to be compared. I guess they both fall under the 'popular film' umbrella but they're still pretty different.
Exactly this. And if Black Panther possibly gets love at the Oscars, then shouldn't that be a good thing for those of us who enjoy well made big budget films? It means that studios will start to take these films more seriously and put a lot more love, care, and craft into them so that they can get audience approval and award love.

Artemis wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 10:12 pm
Exactly this. And if Black Panther possibly gets love at the Oscars, then shouldn't that be a good thing for those of us who enjoy well made big budget films? It means that studios will start to take these films more seriously and put a lot more love, care, and craft into them so that they can get audience approval and award love.
One could argue it doesn't mean this though, especially considering the controversy behind whatever move award shows make. Extreme pressure to nominate won't encourage them to do it later when they don't have pressure. That's the difference between a film like BP and this.

Not trying to start a debate, just playing devil's advocate to why they might be compared.

Precedent can be, but isn't always, a big deal with The Academy.

For example, Logan's screenplay nomination is (most likely) partly why a lot of The Academy's members are considering nominating Black Panther for stuff.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 12:07 am
Precedent can be, but isn't always, a big deal with The Academy.

For example, Logan's screenplay nomination is (most likely) partly why a lot of The Academy's members are considering nominating Black Panther for stuff.

-Vader
Isn't Logan a film that's way more of what Academy members look for comparatively though? Why would that nomination sway people instead of the fear of backlash?

logan has a grounded-ish tone, but logan also has literal clones and a nega-wolverine and children with goofy powers, so kind of?

Panther obv has the more comic book tone, but a lot of folks felt genuine emotion and drama between T'Challa, Killmonger, and the Shakesperian stuff between their dads and their causes, not totally unlike the real-world emotion in Logan either. And while Logan's handling of aging and mortality is powerful, it's not as intellectually / philosophically deep as Panther.

just saying they both have adult-level depth in different arenas and are directed by prestigious filmmakers going comic-book, and if you're telling me a "deep" CBM gets a solid nom in 2017 and another "deep" CBM gets a major nom in 2018 are unrelated events, you must not be the numbers and data guy that i am

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 12:04 am
Artemis wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 10:12 pm
One could argue it doesn't mean this though, especially considering the controversy behind whatever move award shows make. Extreme pressure to nominate won't encourage them to do it later when they don't have pressure. That's the difference between a film like BP and this.

Not trying to start a debate, just playing devil's advocate to why they might be compared.
I think what you're saying has the implication that, after this black superhero movie gets nominated, a white superhero movie still won't get nominated (because the white movie doesn't have 'extreme pressure'). But Black Panther deserves the nomination precisely because it's a black movie, because it has a predominantly black cast and crew – not to fill some quota, but to tell a story unique to the black diaspora, something Hollywood's never seen before. It's no coincidence that the black movie is inventive, while the white ones are mostly generic and uninteresting. And to bring it back to M:I – Fallout, it's not like the Academy won't nominate a good white action movie. See: Mad Max: Fury Road.

Not to say that genre bias doesn't exist, though. The real injustice is why something like Darkest Hour gets nominated when M:I – Fallout is so vastly superior, why an action movie needs to be so goddamn great to get a nomination while a period drama merely needs to be decent. I'm just saying there's a reason why BP is getting nominated, there's a reason why Fallout isn't, and their reasons aren't really comparable.

I think one of the best scenes of the film is the
alternate future sequence where we see Hunt and co. killing police officers. With a close-up of Hunt at the end of the sequence and in the next scene going: yeah, fuck that shit.
Same goes for the scene with the female police officer.

Nomis wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:31 am
alternate future sequence where we see Hunt and co. killing police officers. With a close-up of Hunt at the end of the sequence and in the next scene going: yeah, fuck that shit.
that sequence was great. I loved the score during it too. It really brought forth the gravitas of what was going on. And the police officer scene was tension inducing.

Forum Pro
Law
Nomis wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:31 am
One of my favorite scenes as well. Also, the
Jules?
scene