Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 2:30 am
For me:

6 and 5 may change in time. M:I is the best franchise.

-Vader
our ratings are basically identical

i could never decide between 4 and 5 (usually leaning towards 4), but i think Fallout solidified 5 as my number two

Ruth wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 6:50 am
Hm, maybe I should check these films out.. Was always aware of the franchise, but never really watched the films in theaters and so on.
This is almost me.
I've seen 1 ,3 and slept through about a hour of the 2nd one on flight.
Though I hear the 2nd isn't well regarded amongst the M:I fanbase,true?
But,yes,need to get into this franchise.

antovolk wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 8:04 am
m4st4 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 7:57 am
Epic Empire spoiler podcast, part 1:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... ie-part-1/
15 mins in and it's incredible
24 minutes in and I just came here to tell everyone who has seen the movie to listen to this. McQ says one interesting line: ‘information is the death of emotion.’

I wonder how Nolan would feel about that one. There’s so little exposition in Fallout. It begins with one, you get a lot of info on what they’re supposed to do throughout, but in the end it’s not prevalent or dominating the real core of the film - the characters, the relationships and the stakes.

Edit: there’s a ‘quarter to midnight’ story about one hour in (it’s a longass podcast) that changes the perspective of an entire scene. Can’t wait to watch this again tommorrow!

Information is the death of emotion is a famous platitude tossed around by editors, but McQ takes it seriously.

Also, Fallout has a lot of exposition. More than Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation. McQ did a better job hiding it than most, but there's multiple very long scenes of people explaining things to eachother throughout the entire movie.

also, RE: the folks who never hopped on this franchise. Considering it's popularity and critical buzz that's surprising, but it's especially surprising since the TDKR Prologue came out with Ghost Protocol in IMAX. All anywhere here talked about how was great Ghost Protocol was after seeing the prologue. Mission: Impossible is one of the best and most consistently entertaining franchises of all time, and one that unlike most, absolutely emphasizes authorship.

-Vader

It has, but McQ invests you in the characters so much that you’re not aware of it, he already bought your attention fairly early in the game.

And to those who still haven’t seen the movies, what are you waiting for, it’s not like this is 50 Shades, or Fast and Furious.

m4st4 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 3:30 pm
It has, but McQ invests you in the characters so much that you’re not aware of it, he already bought your attention fairly early in the game.

And to those who still haven’t seen the movies, what are you waiting for, it’s not like this is 50 Shades, or Fast and Furious.
I'm fairly certain Mission: Impossible is the first franchise since The Lord of the Rings to have three consecutive entries have a 90%+.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 3:34 pm
m4st4 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 3:30 pm

I'm fairly certain Mission: Impossible is the first franchise since The Lord of the Rings to have three consecutive entries have a 90%+.

-Vader
There you go. And yet these movies I mentioned are making crazy money with zero effort. That’s just a sad state of industry.

Frankly, the Fast and Furious movies are mostly insane and take tremendous talent to make them happen. They're just catering to a specific audience I'm not totally a part of.

-Vader