Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Opening weekend at series high of 61, on pace to hit around 210-215 domestic and probable 700+ worldwide.

Deadline reports Paramount is (conservatively) estimating break-even on home entertainment, implying that's due to the gigantic marketing costs involved in 2018.

These things aren't getting cheaper to make or market, that's for sure.

-Vader

I was rewatching the trailers and clearly there are deleted scenes.
Ethan falling in the cliff; falling from a rope in the night club scene and the helicopter almost crashing in a truck. Watching this last one in the trailer you can tell the truck and the road are match together in some random helicopter scene, just to match and it problably was never supposed to be in the final movie.

Ivan wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 11:55 am
I was rewatching the trailers and clearly there are deleted scenes.
Ethan falling in the cliff; falling from a rope in the night club scene and the helicopter almost crashing in a truck. Watching this last one in the trailer you can tell the truck and the road are match together in some random helicopter scene, just to match and it problably was never supposed to be in the final movie.
Almost all of the deleted stuff are just shots or small beats that are part of larger scenes. According to McQ on Twitter, they only shot one thing exclusively for the trailer which is the shot of Rebecca Fergason and Cruise walking through the club.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 11:43 am
These things aren't getting cheaper to make or market, that's for sure.
And that is a very bad thing for us. The more movies cost, the more studios demand in the box-office, the more expensive tickets become.

Theaters are already giving us a bargain deal on tickets so they can make up the back-end with concessions. If Hollywood movies start to become $250 million plus on a regular basis, you will easily see $20+ tickets for just the traditional experience. It will rise too high that less people will go in the later weeks of a film's release, and some theaters will suffer and close down.

Piracy and streaming have already done their job to make them hurt time in the past decade; we don't need Hollywood to be making the same thing happen here. Want an easy way to spend less money? Don't make the movies so damn long (I'm all for a length 2.5 hour film, but some movies like Transformers really do not require that).

A decent attempt at an action film. Cruise remains a prostitute for one of the shadiest organisations of this earth, but I guess breaking his ankle and jumping out of planes is a successful technique of mass seduction and financial obedience.

A free ticket is a free ticket.

5/10.

Action masterpiece and most intense theater experience I’ve had since Inception (2010) and TDK (2008). I’m not putting it in the same category as MM:FR though but as a pure action movie it’s damn close. It’s just that thematically FR has more to say whereas this is ‘just’ M:I in its purest distiled form. Still, quite a feat to even talk about all these great movies in the same paragraph for me, which I never expected. Definitely seeing it again asap. My whole family was completely into it and my mother even thanked me for buying the tickets afterwards. The audience was great as well, everybody silent, tense and/or cheering throughout. My palms were completely sweaty by the end, which took me a while to even realize.

m4st4 wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Action masterpiece and most intense theater experience I’ve had since Inception (2010) and TDK (2008). I’m not putting it in the same category as MM:FR though but as a pure action movie it’s damn close. It’s just that thematically FR has more to say whereas this is ‘just’ M:I in its purest distiled form. Still, quite a feat to even talk about all these great movies in the same paragraph for me, which I never expected. Definitely seeing it again asap. My whole family was completely into it and my mother even thanked me for buying the tickets afterwards. The audience was great as well, everybody silent, tense and/or cheering throughout. My palms were completely sweaty by the end, which took me a while to even realize.
It's the norm, right?
But then the guy next to me just pulls his phone and starts texting right at the beggining. And change the seat and then.... the woman in front of me is already texting, more than the guy before. And in the end, during the helicopter scene, this guy right in the front row also starts texting, in one of the most tense moments in the movie!!!

Ivan wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 9:40 pm
m4st4 wrote:
It's the norm, right?
But then the guy next to me just pulls his phone and starts texting right at the beggining. And change the seat and then.... the woman in front of me is already texting, more than the guy before. And in the end, during the helicopter scene, this guy right in the front row also starts texting, in one of the most tense moments in the movie!!!
Let me guess, they also had their phones on FULL BRIGHTNESS

xWhereAmI? wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Ivan wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 9:40 pm
m4st4 wrote:
It's the norm, right?
Let me guess, they also had their phones on FULL BRIGHTNESS
The guy next to me didn't, but it caught my attention anyway. The woman in the front had it so bright I thought it was from the movie screen, her husband couldn't stop looking at her and the phone.