The Suicide Squad (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:If Alice managed to get from one billion mega hit to a 300 mil flop sequel or if Ice Age 5 sold less than half the amount of the previous film's revenue, then I don't think there is a guarantee for any sequel these days. Particularly for one that wasn't very well recieved by the audience.£
I don't get how you sometimes make these comparisons without looking at the context. I mean you're actually comparing Alice and the fifth Ice Age (case of oversaturation) with a sequel to... Nah. Won't do this.

Suicide Squad 2 won't bomb. Mel Gibson at the helm could only boost the sales as even people that gave up on the franchise would be interested in what Mel can bring to the DCEU universe.

How is a sequel to a 6-year-old movie a case of oversaturation

RIFA wrote:and the fifth Ice Age (case of oversaturation)
case not cases.

if title implies its a question the answer is no

RIFA wrote:
RIFA wrote:and the fifth Ice Age (case of oversaturation)
case not cases.
I mean you cite two examples without an oxford comma but only offer to qualify the latter, which suggest you're using it to qualify both. You're not technically incorrect but you're also not grammatically clear on what you're trying to get across, especially as a form of argument that has, ironically, no context.

RIFA wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:If Alice managed to get from one billion mega hit to a 300 mil flop sequel or if Ice Age 5 sold less than half the amount of the previous film's revenue, then I don't think there is a guarantee for any sequel these days. Particularly for one that wasn't very well recieved by the audience.£
I don't get how you sometimes make these comparisons without looking at the context. I mean you're actually comparing Alice and the fifth Ice Age (case of oversaturation) with a sequel to... Nah. Won't do this.

Suicide Squad 2 won't bomb. Mel Gibson at the helm could only boost the sales as even people that gave up on the franchise would be interested in what Mel can bring to the DCEU universe.
Both Alice and Ice Age 4 did better than Suicide Squad and they were better received and yet their follow-ups did very poorly nonetheless. What gives you the impression that DCEU is a bullet-proof franchise like Star Wars? Batman and Superman films have flopped before, you know.£

Crazy Eight wrote:You're not technically incorrect but you're also not grammatically clear on what you're trying to get across, especially as a form of argument that has, ironically, no context.
My bad.

This pretty much.

Shared Universe films can't possibly flop? What kind of a logic is that? Remember that Clones dropped 400 million from Phantom, which means 40%. if the sequel to Suicide Squad drops that much in box office, it will flop. and that was fucking Star Wars. There is no immunity if you don't manage to satisfy your audience. BvS has come way short of MoS in the home market sale, and it shows that the appeal for this franchise is already declining fast.£

If Wonder Woman is crap it may be the final nail in the coffin because Justice League is pretty much guaranteed to get slammed by critics, fairly or unfairly.

To play devil's advocate for the people wanting a sequel, the concept of a shared universe is a relatively new thing and I think it adds a new dimension to sequel-making that complicates things a bit.

It kind of (sometimes unfortunately, in the case of SS or BvS) creates this obligation to develop more content in a way that has never really been implied in film before. It also helps that superheroes are already so pervasive in so many other forms of media and entertainment.

CA: Civil War ends on a note that implies a continuation of not only its main character's story, but threads into multiple films. It warrants a continued story simply by the virtue of its existence. Like, hypothetically, if Thor 3 bombs, Marvel isn't gonna go "well shit, guess we have to shut everything down".

In other words, creating this shared universe also creates a burden to sustain it; a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. WB/DC is 3 films into its universe and arguably has yet to make a good one that really warrants its own existence, but it's a huge investment so they're not just gonna drop the whole plan because all 3 have been critical failures. And I'm not talking about revenue, I'm talking about sheer cultural impact and viewer/fan satisfaction, which has been mixed at best.

Compare that to something like ... I dunno, John Wick 2, which implies a continuing story, and is clearly part of a trilogy, but doesn't automatically warrant a sequel simply because it was made.