The Suicide Squad (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Incredibly entertaining film - it's a total blast. Idris and Daniela really were the MVPs. Also, a big shout out to Joel K who really got me with his performance. Nanaue is the goat. If you're in the UK, go to the cinema. You'll laugh and maybe even get (surprisingly) emotional at the sight of a zillion rats (trust me). Gunn has clearly been inspired by the 'men on a mission' films and Tarantino here.

I would add the caveat, that it's probably not worth forking out the extra for IMAX. It wasn't really worth it. The film is really visually unexciting and grey. If you wanted to see the grey hairs in Idris' beard or the pores on his nose, go for it. Otherwise, this doesn't really justify the premium pricetag.

Also, Gunn's use of music is getting old. The big hero song that starts the third act is a bit rubbish and the use of The Fratellis is baffling. It's all a bit 2004 nights in Camden/Edgar Wight-y.

Very very excited for this and so glad Gunn is getting success off this

Bacon wrote:
August 2nd, 2021, 2:31 am
Very very excited for this and so glad Gunn is getting success off this
:twothumbsup:

Allstar wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 7:53 pm
anikom15 wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 7:21 pm
This movie will be bad.
Unlikely with Gunn at the helm.
Bump

Really cool film, lots to enjoy, it has the qualities (group dynamic) and flaws (no interesting villain) you'd expect from Gunn.
There's one thing that really bugs me (it's a real spoiler):
the death of Polka dot man, I loved all the jokes about all the character dying at the beginning, but at this point I was really attached to that character, and killing him to get a laugh felt very cheap, almost an emotional betrayal. Same with Peacemaker, being a big joke, but eventually killing one character we were very attached to.
Although the fact that we get attached to the characters is definitely a quality of the film, and a tribute to the actors. Melchior is the revelation of the film. Robbie, Elba and Kinnaman are great too.

GOTG2 > TSS > GOTG1 for me.

Yeah this movie was really enjoyable. The final part of the movie was the weakest, which i felt held back the movie from being great, only because it decides to focus on being action heavy.
The team vs Staro felt kinda flat. But Peacemaker vs Flagg and Bloodsport was done really well though.
The villain being bland didn't really bother me. But the main group of characters, and themes was done really well throughout the movie so can't really fault the the movie. And Melchior, Elba, Robbie, Kinnerman and King Shark were standouts for me.

Waller is the real villain of the piece tbh.
This was so fun. Loved the cast and characters, hard to pick a favorite. Gunn even made Kinnaman and Flagg compelling which seemed hard to do lol. Melchior was such a nice discovery by Gunn just like Pom was. Hope to see her in more stuff in the future. Her character was adorable.

It was... meh. It was fun 40-50% of the time so it's not terrible but I don't get the hype. I wasn't the biggest fan of the main characters. Elba was replacable, Harley had no agency in the movie (easily the worst this character has ever been in Robbie's career), Peacemaker had one fun scene (in the jungle). The supporting characters are what saves this movie. Polka Dot and King Shark really delivered for me in terms of laughs and Ratcatcher as the emotional core of the film. But never was I invested in terms of the plot, stakes or character development. The team didn't really build a chemistry despite any obstacles, they seemed to get along fine from the start and it lacked growth. The film also had a terribly muddled message of what it wanted to say about American aggression as if it didn't want to offend the American audience too much.

LuciusNightmare wrote:
August 1st, 2021, 12:50 pm
Incredibly entertaining film - it's a total blast. Idris and Daniela really were the MVPs. Also, a big shout out to Joel K who really got me with his performance. Nanaue is the goat. If you're in the UK, go to the cinema. You'll laugh and maybe even get (surprisingly) emotional at the sight of a zillion rats (trust me). Gunn has clearly been inspired by the 'men on a mission' films and Tarantino here.

I would add the caveat, that it's probably not worth forking out the extra for IMAX. It wasn't really worth it. The film is really visually unexciting and grey. If you wanted to see the grey hairs in Idris' beard or the pores on his nose, go for it. Otherwise, this doesn't really justify the premium pricetag.

Also, Gunn's use of music is getting old. The big hero song that starts the third act is a bit rubbish and the use of The Fratellis is baffling. It's all a bit 2004 nights in Camden/Edgar Wight-y.
It is awesome!

LelekPL wrote:
August 7th, 2021, 12:04 am
The film also had a terribly muddled message of what it wanted to say about American aggression as if it didn't want to offend the American audience too much.
It's rare thouh to see a big Hollywood film so clearly attacking the American foreign policy. And even if the facts are fictional in the film, knowing all the history of what the USA did in Latin America (Nicaragua, Cuba, Panama, Chile), it definitely feels more than just to move the plot forward, on the contrary of Iron Man 3, for example, where the subplot with the VP felt just like fiction and not a critic of the government.