The Suicide Squad (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LuciusNightmare wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:15 am
Mostly positive on this. It seems like it'll be a zany comic-book film. Exactly what you expect from James Gunn. I will definitely try and find an IMAX.

However.....For me, the cinematography is so disappointing. We are used to DC films looking amazing. Aside from the obviously superb work by Wally. We have had Larry Fong, Matthew Libatique, Lawrence Sher and Fabian Wagner.

But something about the visuals here.....Just seem too digital, too neat, too flat. You'd think that free of the constraints of the MCU cookie-cutter style, that Gunn and Henry Braham would mix it up a bit. However, the filters and style just isn't for me.....
Agreed. This looks like the typical washed-out concrete of the MCU...the Russo aesthetic. Weird, because Gunn's Guardians movies are the best-looking Marvel movies because they are filmed on sets and in green boxes, as opposed to the usual marvel parking lot. Can't beat shooting on film.

I was a bit lukewarm when I first saw it. I preferred the second trailer. However, watching this agin, I enjoyed this. TSS is definitely an opening day cinema trip for me. Principally for Daniela Melchior

Is the greyish colour palette of the film, Gunn attempting to mimic Zack Snyder's visuals? The DCEU has generally adopted Snyder's visual sensibility.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the second part. I really like the first film and remember it. A little bit of phantasmagoria and trash - it turns out to be a cool film.

I was crapping on this film's cinematography, but the trailer played in an IMAX theatre I attended and - honestly - in the higher resolution, it wasn't bad. Even this shot below is pretty attractive......What do we think?

Gunn rises

He called it, his favourite film from his own works.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 1:45 am
He called it, his favourite film from his own works.
Well, he's in the middle of the promotion.
I'm sure it will be tons of fun, but I hope his character driven storytelling will also lead to emotional moments like with Rocket, Yondu and Quill in GOTG V2. I wasn't as moved by the Nebula/Gamora plot, and the villains were not interesting, so there was also room for improvements.