Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:32 am
Just got out.

Overall I'm mixed. Loved some things. Hated some things. It was fun, but story decisions really bummed me out.

Driver is the highlight and his character's story in this and throughout the trilogy has been an absolute delight to watch unfold.

There is a ridiculous amount of fan service in this. So much so to the point that the entire premise of the film and the story it revolves around comes across like it was made in reaction to fans, rather than trying to forge its own path in service to the spirit of Star Wars.

Can't say it's "one of the worst Star Wars" as some are saying around the net, but it's gotta fall somewhere in the middle for me.
Similar reaction more or less.
Not gonna lie, I ate up the shot of the Ewoks, lmao.

The point of the Prequel is that only a sith can save someone from death, and that the point of being a jedi is to accept the will of the force and to let go. So
I suppose when Rey saves Ben, she's almost a sith, since she can do it without losing much of her own strength. In which case, the discussion with Luke should have been longer and dive deeper. Anyway, I really didn't like Luke's scene. It was the moment the film should have taken its time, have complex discussions, but the film was way too fast and never really paused to take a breath.
Also some people on Reddit are saying that there was a big pressure from Disney to make a film that would please TLJ haters also, so let's wait to see how much of the blame is on JJ... I think Kennedy should resign anyway. I loved how she let Rian do his vision of SW, but overall, with Solo'misfire, firing Trevorrow way too late so that Abrams had only two years to complete the movie, not planning key stuff, and eventually having contradictions between movies... She overall failed imo.

By the way, I still like much of the film and will probably watch it again soon, but there are mistakes that shouldn't exist at this level of professionnalism.

This was a movie alright.

I can’t even process it on a coherent level. It was entertaining, definitely the most out of the three, but it also makes the two before worse retroactively.

Now I hope the assholes on Twitter will admit world-building is a useful and sometimes critical exercise.

Demoph wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 4:24 am
The point of the Prequel is that only a sith can save someone from death, and that the point of being a jedi is to accept the will of the force and to let go. So
I suppose when Rey saves Ben, she's almost a sith, since she can do it without losing much of her own strength. In which case, the discussion with Luke should have been longer and dive deeper. Anyway, I really didn't like Luke's scene. It was the moment the film should have taken its time, have complex discussions, but the film was way too fast and never really paused to take a breath.
Also some people on Reddit are saying that there was a big pressure from Disney to make a film that would please TLJ haters also, so let's wait to see how much of the blame is on JJ... I think Kennedy should resign anyway. I loved how she let Rian do his vision of SW, but overall, with Solo'misfire, firing Trevorrow way too late so that Abrams had only two years to complete the movie, not planning key stuff, and eventually having contradictions between movies... She overall failed imo.

By the way, I still like much of the film and will probably watch it again soon, but there are mistakes that shouldn't exist at this level of professionnalism.
The point of the prequels is that the Jedi in them dont know shit

I liked Ep 7, I liked Ep 8, I really cared for the characters, for Rey, Kylo, I enjoyed the whole story the built up - and I think Ep 9 just totally wasted all of it. I might give this movie a chance in the future, but I really, really didn't like where they took the story in this. It felt ad hoc, it felt like an afterthought, and it felt quite empty, devoid of real emotions and moments. I've never been an SW fan, so I always watched Ep 7 and 8 with the eyes of a regular movie-goer, and that's probably one of the reasons I enjoyed them. But Ep 9 is does great disservice to those films, I think.

Sad if true.

Gotta say I'm a little more upset after waking up this morning.

It really makes Star Wars feel Iike an abused cash cow. Like its sole purpose is to simply to sell a version of itself to us over and over again. We wanted an expansion of this universe and feel like I've been duped into a rehash.

On the cameo side of things, in a weird turn of events...
Harrison Ford actually seemed to give a shit and it gave us the best scene in the film imo. Mark Hamill was surprisingly pretty bad in his two minutes. The writing and wig didn't help but after his extraordinary TLJ performance, it was weird

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:37 am
On the cameo side of things, in a weird turn of events...
Harrison Ford actually seemed to give a shit and it gave us the best scene in the film imo. Mark Hamill was surprisingly pretty bad in his two minutes. The writing and wig didn't help but after his extraordinary TLJ performance, it was weird
Harrison Ford gave a shit as both Han in TFA (despite his injury!) and Deckard in BR2049, and now as Han again in TROS. I know he always sounds like he doesn’t want to return to these roles but he is a consummate professional.

atilasantos wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 1:17 pm
Btw, I loved everything about Paul Dameron.
hmm