Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
atilasantos wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:31 pm
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER IS A TERRIBLE MOVIE THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE BY HUMANKIND

Now you're happy. Great
Let's talk about the movie
Is it possible to report a member for this post? Still trying to figure it out

EDIT: What about reporting him for the insane amount of uses of the word "epic" in his post about the movie? Lol

Bacon wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 4:34 pm
atilasantos wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:31 pm
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER IS A TERRIBLE MOVIE THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE BY HUMANKIND

Now you're happy. Great
Let's talk about the movie
Is it possible to report a member for this post? Still trying to figure it out

EDIT: What about reporting him for the insane amount of uses of the word "epic" in his post about the movie? Lol

The lack of planning is honestly the cancer that triggered the symptoms of the ST's failures. The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker are both movies that color outside the lines of what would "usually" be in that respective episode. Everything on Crait is kind of Rian's Episode IX while everything in the first half of Episode IX is kind of JJ's Episode VIII.

By the end of The Last Jedi, Rey being a nobody was already "solved." That pain point was healed; she has already been accepted into a surrogate family. Conventionally, that would be her arc in Episode IX "dealing" with the revelation of being a nobody. I'm not necessarily criticizing Rian for doing this. I mostly love his movie! But it does limit the avenues the writers of Episode IX can take, and it was perhaps a little reckless of Rian Johnson to write what would ordinarily be a IX arc into VIII without knowing quite what it's setting up. He was, to an extent, flying blind. Terrio and JJ recently said they created Palpatine to give Rey a "present-tense" problem. I don't blame them at all for this; they needed to find a motivating factor from whole cloth, as Rian took all those pieces from the board.

To an extent, Rian was flying blind when writing The Last Jedi and that's not his fault, its Disney's. But, to another extent, it was Rian's responsibility to set up Episode IX, and he handed that baton off in a clumsy way. Likewise, it's probably JJ's fault he made a movie that goes against a lot of what The Last Jedi was doing, even if some of it may have been the only place he knew where to take it given how The Last Jedi ended. In short, it's a mess, each of them clumsily reacting to one another with different voices and visions.

PS, I genuinely liked TROS on second viewing. I agree with Armand on his previous post. It is a disastrously flawed movie, but if you disliked it the first time, give it another shot.

-Vader

so what that means is that i SHOULD probably see this again huh.

I already intended to, but if it helps me feel better about this film, then great. I was discussing this with people the day after watching, and (as probs evident in my posts) I was genuinely not happy with my own thoughts on it. I think the Palpatine thing will never sit right with me, regardless of any explanations, and that’s totally fair, but I really wanted to like this a lot. And I was sad that I, for the most part, just could not have that experience.

The following is quote by Johnson, but it could still imply potentially spoilery stuff for the new film.
This is my major problem with Skywalker and exactly what I feared Abrams would do.

Virgo I don't blame you at all. I'm still dealing with that myself. That said, I think the real issue is more complicated:
I like Rey as a Nobody and Rey as Papatine's granddaughter. Both ultimately involve Rey shedding her heritage of pain and trauma to forge a new identity in the world. They have a similar destination.

What Rian couldn't see is Rey having a struggle overcoming an evil legacy that surges her towards aggression and hate. IE, she almost kills Chewie, she's the aggressor and almost kills Ben. So her arc therefore is to confront and master the darkness inside her and move on. Rian said being a nobody is the hardest thing. This is pretty hard on Rey too, to the point she tries to maroon herself on Ach-To. I like the idea a lot. And, weirdly, this retcon fits The Last Jedi as Luke is terrified of her pull to the dark and explosion of power. Hell, according to The Last Jedi Rey's powers are just an emergent response to Ben's rise in dark side power. Either way, they aren't totally "hers."

I just think TROS is so rushed and crunched together these ideas are inelegant and contradict TLJ (Nothing Snoke says in TLJ makes sense now) while TLJ didn't do a great job leaving the writers of Episode IX easy paths to follow for her by completing so much of what seemed to be her arc in TLJ.

-Vader

I wonder what JJ’s original plan was with Rey’s parents...
Since there’s no way he was thinking about Palpatine while making TFA lol

None of this stuff seems to have been planned out in advance.

Below 180 mil OW dom is now a possibility. I say damn.
Special thanks goes to reddit haters of TLJ, anti-SJW twitter spawns, chicken Disney (who already ruined Frozen II ending this year) and of course JJ and Terrio for writing a pulpy mess of a fanfiction instead of organic sequel to TLJ.

Just got out.

Overall I'm mixed. Loved some things. Hated some things. It was fun, but story decisions really bummed me out.

Driver is the highlight and his character's story in this and throughout the trilogy has been an absolute delight to watch unfold.

There is a ridiculous amount of fan service in this. So much so to the point that the entire premise of the film and the story it revolves around comes across like it was made in reaction to fans, rather than trying to forge its own path in service to the spirit of Star Wars.

Can't say it's "one of the worst Star Wars" as some are saying around the net, but it's gotta fall somewhere in the middle for me.