Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I don't know why so many people miss this, but Rian "explained" Rey's insane force powers in The Last Jedi.

"Darkness rises, and the light to meet it."

Rey's powers didn't 'organically' emerge from inside her as a "born" force sensitive, the force "gave' her those powers to balance out another force user, Kylo Ren. Sure, you can infer the force "chose" her due to Rey's moral certitude or whatever, but it was """explained""" in The Last Jedi either way.

So, hate to tell you this, but if the burden of proof required to make you comparable to a literal rapist or alt-right thug like Shapiro is to merely, in your words, believe Rey's powers require explanation, then I guess Rian Johnson is just like them too.

PS, I hate the way JJ and Terrio clumsily grafted the legacy of Palpatine onto Rey and Kylo Ren in different ways, damaging their agency in the process. But the issue isn't gendered, it's just plain old bad storytelling.

-Vader

I think there’s a distinct difference with what Rian did (in a way another chosen one) then them having the sole reason she has power is because of Palpatine but that’s just me.

Look we’re all cranky (best case scenario) about being homebound and the state of the world, myself included which is prob why that quote ignored me more than usual but it did remind of that Shapiro tweet and people who needed a good “explanation” for her being a “Mary Sue”. Did I use the most extreme example of individuals? Yeah, sure. Do I think JJ thinks like them? No. Do I think he tried to please every little fan criticism that he unintentionally pleased someone like Shapiro and his ilk? Yes. That doesn’t mean I was being pointless, pig headed or whatever adjective you would like to use.

Allstar wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 2:52 am
I think there’s a distinct difference with what Rian did then them having the sole reason she has power is because of Palpatine but that’s just me.

Look we’re all cranky (best case scenario) about being homebound and the state of the world, myself included which is prob why that quote ignored me more than usual but it did remind of that Shapiro tweet and people who needed a good “explanation” for her being a “Mary Sue”. Did I use the most extreme example of individuals? Yeah, sure. Do I think JJ thinks like them? No. Do I think he tried to please every little fan criticism that he unintentionally pleased someone like Shapiro and his ilk? Yes. That doesn’t mean I was being pointless, pig headed or whatever adjective you would like to use.
In both The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, Rey's force powers are "because" of a man.

The only difference in "wokeness" is the vast reservoir of bad faith towards JJ and endless goodwill for Rian Johnson.

Furthermore, Luke talks at length how Ren's powers are "because" of his blood. TLJ never "refutes" bloodlines as a thing, just that obsessing over them perpetuates cycles of toxic power structures. This theme, actually, is continued in TROS. But suddenly, when Rey's are because of her blood, instead of it being equivalent to Ren's own struggle, it's sexist? No.

Immediately comparing anyone who thinks Rey's powers require "explanation" to Ben Shapiro and Landis is fucking reckless, dude. And again, I hate this story decision. That's not the point. goodnight.

-Vader

I admitted I used the most most extreme example already with the comparison. Good night to you as well. Also I did not bring up Landis because he’s a rapist. The only reason he came to mind is because he literally is the one who started the stupid “Mary Sue” thing online.

I’m well aware what Last Jedi does and Luke talking about Ben’s “mighty Skywalker blood”, this is why I already said I don’t even hate or was pissed he made her a Palpatine to begin with. I just take issue with the idea that it was necessary. I’m actually not far off in agreement with you, the execution and reasoning was the sloppy part rather than the idea.

As for the endless goodwill towards Rian, while true...let’s not pretend you don’t heavily partake in it.

Allstar wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 2:33 am
To be honest it's hard to disagree with what he's saying in general sense. I don't agree with some of the "great" adjectives he uses because where the movie fails it's execution. All the ideas they had are ok but not properly executed - like the handling of Kylo's arc or Leia's backstory (that can be forgiven for obvious reasons)... or especially Palpatine's return.

Best scene of TFA: Han and Ben
Best scene of TLJ: Luke tells Rey about the Force
Best scene of TROS: ???

My fav part is when Rey..
..is befuddled that the daughter of Darth Vader and the mother of Kylo Ren, didn't judge her for being the daughter of a good natured clone of Palpatine.

There are some great scenes in TROS. Coherence is an issue but in between there's a lot to enjoy.