Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 9:15 am
Jedi went to a different direction than Awakens, it took a different approach, but it never nullified or contradicted anything, it did not ignore the character arcs from the previous film, it took elements from it only to further and expand upon them

In no way did it take a major character in Awakens, to reduce them to a nothing role.
RJ definitely contradicted TFA here or there but that's not important. The same reason Rose was barely in The Rise of Skywalker is the same reason Hux isn't either. They shot a lot more scenes, but in effort to streamline the movie as much as possible (as it was already a mess) they lost their added scenes. They weren't deliberately "ignored."

Terrio also recently said they wrote Rose to stay at The Resistance base so a main character was there other than Leia, but those scenes with Leia never looked right visually and they got cut on that level too. The issues were part of the filmmaking process, not appeasing deplorables.

None of this "fixes" TROS, but it does speak to the intent on the part of the filmmakers, which seems to be what everyone is most angry about.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm
Bacon wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 10:56 am

Id say Finn's role was reductive th. It retread where he had already been in TFA.
Did it?

He doesn't defect in TFA, he runs away from the FO and then is singularly focused on saving Rey, which is the emotional situation he is left in at the end of the film. He doesn't have an epiphany that they should still fight to help the Resistance - it's Han who decides that in the film.

TLJ puts him through the Hillel wringer: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
10th posted, sorry Armand ^

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on December 27th, 2019, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finn in TFA starts with him caring about himself to caring about only Rey. TLJ via Rose and DJ he has realization to truly care about and fully support the resistance. Totally different.

TLJ
ESB
TFA
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
TROS
SOLO
RO
TPM
AOTC

Ruth wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 4:30 pm
anikom15 wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 9:15 am
Jedi went to a different direction than Awakens, it took a different approach, but it never nullified or contradicted anything, it did not ignore the character arcs from the previous film, it took elements from it only to further and expand upon them

In no way did it take a major character in Awakens, to reduce them to a nothing role.
It reduced Luke to a nothing role.
That’s true if you watched the film with your eyes closed.

But then again, Luke isn’t a character in TFA, so good guy Rian actually expanded his role exponentially.
What does Luke do in TLJ that has any impact on the story or characters whatsoever?

anikom15 wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Ruth wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

But then again, Luke isn’t a character in TFA, so good guy Rian actually expanded his role exponentially.
What does Luke do in TLJ that has any impact on the story or characters whatsoever?
saves them

-Vader

Rian was talking about how excited he was to see this...yet never gave out a tweet about his thoughts like he does on many things. He prob disliked it to say the least.

Vader182 wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 9:13 pm
anikom15 wrote:
Ruth wrote:

saves them

-Vader
Rey had already beat Kylo twice before. I don’t think they’d have had to have worried a third time.

Just saw this for the second time. I like it better this time, although the film still feels messy.

anikom15 wrote:
Ruth wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

Drinks alien titty milk? pretty fucking important if you ask me.

i know armand and vader have both mentioned this, but i saw the movie again, and it works much better the second time

once you accept the decisions and recognize what it is, it’s honestly pretty fun and there’s a ton of good stuff in there

not exactly the disaster twitter seems to think it is