Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Damn, am I the only who really, really enjoyed this movie?

antovolk wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:15 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 9:54 am
You also have the INSANE decision to have the INCITING FUCKING INCIDENT happen... IN THE FUCKING CRAWL! That's... the thing! Instead you get a helpful Hobbitses telling them about nasty Snokeses and it's just like... yeah, shit, this is the problem we have now. Oh well. I guess that's the plot of the movie now! Fucking lame.

When you realise (I believe) that the opening planet is Mustafar and all the potential that could have come from that, and the second scene which is so eerie and fascinating and is loaded with potential, and then it turns out it's just Brofeld again saying "Hey, I did the plots for the other movies, including that one that didn't make much sense! Yes, this means that I've acted against my own interests in the past but who gives a fuck? I'm back baby!"
thought of exactly that when it came to Palpatine in this film
The dead speak!

The dead... are... alive.

Agree with so much of what you said, Armand.

I can’t bring myself to severely loathe this for a variety of reasons. But this is so disappointing

this was a lot easier to not fuck up than it seemed to some

ArmandFancypants wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:56 am
antovolk wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 9:54 am
You also have the INSANE decision to have the INCITING FUCKING INCIDENT happen... IN THE FUCKING CRAWL! That's... the thing! Instead you get a helpful Hobbitses telling them about nasty Snokeses and it's just like... yeah, shit, this is the problem we have now. Oh well. I guess that's the plot of the movie now! Fucking lame.

When you realise (I believe) that the opening planet is Mustafar and all the potential that could have come from that, and the second scene which is so eerie and fascinating and is loaded with potential, and then it turns out it's just Brofeld again saying "Hey, I did the plots for the other movies, including that one that didn't make much sense! Yes, this means that I've acted against my own interests in the past but who gives a fuck? I'm back baby!"
The dead speak!

wonder if hiding Palpatine until mid way through or something like Blofeld would have helped.

But really, at least Bond's having is an extra film to play around with this new sandbox instead of introducing such an element and wrapping the entire thing up. It's cute how quickly JJ just dropped that on us, almost even undoing TFA as well as TLJ though.
Basically, it's Game of Thrones S8 of Star Wars

atilasantos wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 8:45 am
So it's time to watch TLJ again

Man you're just jealous that creature got milked while you got catfished by that prostitute instead

antovolk wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 12:39 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
antovolk wrote:

The dead speak!

wonder if hiding Palpatine until mid way through or something like Blofeld would have helped.

But really, at least Bond's having is an extra film to play around with this new sandbox instead of introducing such an element and wrapping the entire thing up. It's cute how quickly JJ just dropped that on us, almost even undoing TFA as well as TLJ though.
I liked the first-scene reveal precisely because it’s avoiding any sort of mystery box midpoint reveal in an already cluttered film. They’re bringing back the Emperor, and they might as well be shameless about it. Blofeld felt disappointing because it was one big obvious “duh” after half a movie of stupidly making things murky. This is boom! it’s the Emperor!

That energy is why I still liked this film actually. It’s clear, no-bullshit direction. Shameless macguffins and breakneck chases for them.

Nistopher Colon wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 2:03 pm
atilasantos wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 8:45 am
So it's time to watch TLJ again

Man you're just jealous that creature got milked while you got catfished by that prostitute instead
That scene :sick:

anarchy wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 2:24 pm
antovolk wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 12:39 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:

The dead speak!

I liked the first-scene reveal precisely because it’s avoiding any sort of mystery box midpoint reveal in an already cluttered film. They’re bringing back the Emperor, and they might as well be shameless about it. Blofeld felt disappointing because it was one big obvious “duh” after half a movie of stupidly making things murky. This is boom! it’s the Emperor!

That energy is why I still liked this film actually. It’s clear, no-bullshit direction. Shameless macguffins and breakneck chases for them.
The comparison is not the reveal, it's the claiming of ownership for the events from the previous films and then hand waving it.

Like... Kylo finds out that his "grandfather" is actually this old fuck instead and doesn't have to reckon with that? Golly.

I hope all of you guys are seeing Cats on opening day.

My fiancée is forcing me to see this.