Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:06 pm
I feel terrible for Johnson. No director should ever be treated like this by their cast. Especially when the film is such a big critical and commercial success and a high point in each of their careers.
I agree. Whilst I am no fan of the TLJ or much of the new series of SW, ultimately the film was a commercial success. Johnson has moved on and already had success with Knives Out. Will Boyega and Ridley be able to do the same? The jury is out. Will other Studios and/or Directors be willing to take a chance that there will be backlash pre/post release? IMHO Boyega and Ridley will struggle to compete for roles as it is when there is so much better acting talent out there at the moment in their age range.
Last edited by Tesla on December 11th, 2019, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnson is doing okay, I wouldn't feel too bad for him. He can have a 40-50 million budget for original films, he can cast almost any actor he wants... And he was able to make a big blockbuster with complete creative freedom.

Why JJ Abrams, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley Are All of a Sudden Criticizing ‘The Last Jedi'

And in the recent interview, it does appear as though Abrams will try to steer the ship back into place with ‘Rise of the Skywalker’:

“It was a bit of a meta approach to the story. I don’t think that people go to ‘Star Wars’ to be told, ‘This doesn’t matter,” Abrams bluntly said about Johnson’s movie.
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2019/12/star-wars

Sigh.

I'm seeing Knives Out again in theaters. Fuck it.

honestly what the fuck

how about we include the full quote instead of throwing a tantrum

Abrams praised “The Last Jedi” for being “full of surprises and subversion and all sorts of bold choices.”

“On the other hand,” he added, “it’s a bit of a meta approach to the story. I don’t think that people go to ‘Star Wars’ to be told, ‘This doesn’t matter.’”

Even so, Abrams said “The Last Jedi” laid the groundwork for “The Rise of Skywalker” and “a story that I think needed a pendulum swing in one direction in order to swing in the other.”
you know, the one where he praises TLJ, acknowledges why it didn't work for some people, then reiterates for the 10th time this press cycle that it was important for setting up The Rise of Skywalker

-Vader

He did not specify “some”. He worded it in a way that he was talking about most Star Wars fans in general. An unneeded jab that isn’t taken back with anything else he said, and saying “sigh” is hardly throwing a tantrum. Just disappointing.

German Burger King has made an online ad in which they spoil the movie for customers in exchange for free meals. Apparently the spoilers are based on the leaks (who seem to be true) and this "promotion" is not approved by Disney (considering they don't use any names and bleep it out when "Star Wars" is said). And I just got spoiled big time because I watched the ad, thinking it was just a marketing hoax. But nope, the spoilers are real :facepalm:

What the fuuuuck???

Dobson wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 6:15 pm
German Burger King has made an online ad in which they spoil the movie for customers in exchange for free meals. Apparently the spoilers are based on the leaks (who seem to be true) and this "promotion" is not approved by Disney (considering they don't use any names and bleep it out when "Star Wars" is said). And I just got spoiled big time because I watched the ad, thinking it was just a marketing hoax. But nope, the spoilers are real :facepalm:

What the fuuuuck???
this is fucking crazy

-Vader

Dobson wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 6:15 pm

What the fuuuuck???
fuck i hope this is grounds for a lawsuit

it’s fucking horrible