The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Mindheist wrote:Not quite happy to hear that Geoff Johns will be writer, I haven't read his work but I think we'll be getting a very typical/shallow Batman. If they're looking for comic writers or people who really understand the material, I'd quite like to see Scott Snyder as writer. I just really want to see a dark and violent Batman like from The Dark Knight Returns and unlike Nolan's heroic and idealistic Batman.
I don't think the world is ready for such a brilliant writer to take the helm like that. But I would shit bricks if he did

Writing comics is a lot different than writing movies.

What about Paul Dini?

Geoff Johns and Paul Dini seem to have more experience with screen writing then Scott Snyder, who's solely a comic writer and his writing works because of the comic book format. Yeah, Scott does some amazing narrations and pacing the dialogue with the panels, but that doesn't translate all that well to film if you're inexperienced.

With that said, Geoff Johns. . . he's okay. He does a good job of churning out decent stories quickly, but at the same time he's really not the best.

Comic books are a lot different to film. I just love the bleak hopelessness and inherent insanity of Scott Snyder's dialogue and monologues. He could come up with a brilliant story that really tests Batman as a character. With Affleck as co-writer, he could pick out the best material and make a polished script like The Town. Anyway that's a moot debate. I'm hoping to see something different but just as good as The Dark Knight with this film.

Mindheist wrote: I'm hoping to see something different but just as good as The Dark Knight with this film.

Shocking news!

Good to know Geoff will lend a hand, I'd prefer Snyder but like others said, Geoff has more experience in other fields. By the time Affleck finishes with Justice League he'll know the character all too well.

Sweet.

Bacon wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
SilverHeart wrote:Geoff Johns could be a good sign. He knows his shit.
And Affleck doesn't?
How are we supposed to know if Affleck knows how to write Batman?
He has an academy award for screenwriting. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It'll be cool to see what villain(s) appears in this. With a veteran Batman and people like Croc around that means we might actually get villains with bonafide superpowers like Clayface.