The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:30 pm
He might not be Richardson but he'll do. I loved the cinematography in Killing Them Softly and Foxcatcher. Rogue One also had some amazing shots in it.
Don't forget Lion. Unless you're not a fan of his work in that one :P

Not really a fan of his work in Rogue One...

Sysmatic wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:38 pm
LelekPL wrote:
He might not be Richardson but he'll do. I loved the cinematography in Killing Them Softly and Foxcatcher. Rogue One also had some amazing shots in it.
It's good but not on the level of KTS or Foxcatcher. I'd probably put Zero Dark Thirty above it as well.

I just noticed he reunites with Reeves after Let Me In. The original was shot BEAUTIFULLY by Hoytema and I've never seen the remake as it always felt pointless to me. How well does Fraser fair in it when compared to Hoytema's work?

Ace wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 3:48 pm
'The Batman' Adds 'Rogue One' Cinematographer Greig Fraser

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/b ... ssion=true
Cinematographer Greig Fraser, who earned an Oscar nomination for Garth Davis' 2016 biographical drama Lion, is on board to shoot The Batman.

The Australian DP previously shot The Batman filmmaker Matt Reeves' 2010 film Let Me In. The Batman will star Robert Pattinson as the Dark Knight.

In addition to Lion, Fraser's credits include Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Zero Dark Thirty, Vice, Foxcatcher and Denis Villeneuve's upcoming Dune.
OMG I literally thought about this yesterday :batman:

Fraser is amazing, so stoked he'll shoot this! Very excited about it

LelekPL wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Sysmatic wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:38 pm
LelekPL wrote:
It's good but not on the level of KTS or Foxcatcher. I'd probably put Zero Dark Thirty above it as well.

I just noticed he reunites with Reeves after Let Me In. The original was shot BEAUTIFULLY by Hoytema and I've never seen the remake as it always felt pointless to me. How well does Fraser fair in it when compared to Hoytema's work?
I thought it was alright but Hoytema's work was definitely superior. The original one in all cases was better in my opinion. But the remake wasn't bad though.

Lion is my fav of his though. That was just so richfully and gorgeously shot.

All in all this a good addition to The Batman

I completely forgot Reeves and Fraser did Let Me In. I thought the original was great and I often think American remakes are incredibly useless (yes there are a handful of exceptions or where they're both great). I will give it a go someday though.

Frasers work on Lion is incredible and Rogue One is gorgeous. Zero Dark Thirty, Foxcatcher and Killing Them Softly too. Stoked for his upcoming work. The Mandalorian, most of all Dune and now this!

Assuming they'll shoot this digitally then. Which will be a first for a Batman film. I must say, again, that I prefer Fraser's digitally shot work. I believe he once said he likes how close it comes to his medium/large format film photography from back in the day.
Given that he's used the Alexa LF for The Mandalorian and Dune, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes with those. Maybe Alexa 65 too which he allegedly also used on Dune. I think all of Fraser's pervious films have been finished in 4K?

Anyway, I wonder if starting principal photography in January means we'll get some wintry exterior scenes, which I would love.

Fraser:
"It’s great to be working with Matt again," said Fraser in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "The Batman franchise is iconic and its a privilege to now be able to visualize it in my own way. Especially with the cumulative creative potential of all the talent and technicians we have in front of and behind the camera."

Bacon wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:40 pm
I thought Rogue One looked great, but that's about it.

Numbers wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Bacon wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:40 pm
I thought Rogue One looked great, but that's about it.
The look of Rogue One was so drab and uninspired to me. Moments looked good, but I was overwhemingly disappointed with the whole look of the way tbh.

fraser is defining the look of contemporary cinematography tbqhwy

what you mean