The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 12:12 pm
Is Barry Keoghan in this?
Yes

This was something special. Reeves has truly captured a worn down, lived-in, Gotham. Pattinson excels, as does the rest of the cast. Frasers work is top notch and the plot is both captivating, emotional at all the right places and it all just fits together so perfectly. Those three hours flew by, I love that films like this are possible. This feels so quintessential Batman, absolutely loved it. Cannot wait to see what else Reeves is up to with this world he's created.

This is now in my Top 3 best Batman movies (can't stand Lego Batman).
Loved the vibe and mood of the city, much like Gotham in Begins rather than in TDK and TDKR where it felt more like a normal city that they named Gotham. Here it has identity, and we can understand how characters like Batman, Penguim or Catwoman emerges from it.

My favorite thing about this movie is that it's the one with the most Batman in it. Pattison is in costume most of the time, and when he's not, he's wearing that emo makeup that looks like a war paint.
It has great action sequences but the whole detective pieces is the better.

Mvps for me are Penguim (in a lot more scenes that I thought he would), Catwoman and Pattison.

The Riddler is great in the beggining but in the end Dano started doing his faces and maneirisms and took me out of the movie.

Now I wanna see it in IMAX, too bad is a little too long, and you can feel it towards the last act. But need to see that cinematography in a bigger screen now!

I was rather underwhelmed by this, to be honest. The trailers proved that there was an amazing potential in this, but instead it felt slow (not in a good way) and sometimes even a bit pretentious... I don't want to sound too harsh, because I liked Pattinson, I surprisingly loved the Penguin, but all the rest was just a bit too much for me in terms of style. It just didn't feel natural, especially the visuals... I know this might sound like rubbish, pointing out how a film felt too overly dependent on its visual style, but it really felt like style over substance for me.

And then, by the end, it became tiring in many ways. The music is one aspect of it, I liked and still like the main theme, but listening to it (and almost exclusively to that music cue) for 3 hours straight had an unwanted effect on me. And I only point this out because this sort of "repetitive" feeling was reinforced by the visuals and the scenes, the scenery, etc. Many lingering shots on people turning very slowly around and looking sadly or angrily at something in the distance, many short-term mysteries and reveals, a number of "You gotta take a look at that" moments and forced suspense. I am probably making it sound worse than it really was, but all these details were tiring me out after a while.

It was just soooo, so "dark" that sometimes it felt like a parody of itself. There were a few moments where the "cool shot" and the "suspenseful scene" just crossed the line and became too much for me. The use of Ave Maria by Schubert is another offender here, it's one of the most overused classical pieces of all time anyway, and I just didn't like how many of the scenes were built around it (and sometimes even the film score).

There was only one scene that I thoroughly enjoyed, and that was a car chase scene. That one had great pacing, some momentum (finally) and naturally cool shots and stunts. But that was my main problem with the whole film, pacing, because this aforementioned chase scene is almost the only scene I felt had any sort of momentum.

The riddles and the detective aspect of it was entertaining, but there just wasn't enough of it to carry the weight of the film for three hours for me. And the final little "tease" á la Batman Begins was, honestly, just disappointing for me. For those of you who cannot wait to see it yourself:
I just can't believe we're getting another Joker. Why? This whole Joker mythos is getting really old for me, I have to say.
And I know it sounds childish on a Nolan Fans forum to compare every new Batman movie to Nolan's trilogy, but I'm going to do it anyway. And we don't even have to consider TDKR, because I have my problems with that as well. But I couldn't help but think how Nolan was able to create a modern myth with BB and TDK. There's a late Hungarian pianist and conductor who said something like "We shouldn't thrive for perfection, only for eternity". And I think this sums up my feelings when it comes to Nolan's films.

They are not perfect, they have cheesy lines, cheesy extras, lame moments. Some aspects of BB would be quite ridiculous, were it released nowadays. I mean, a ninja boss attacks Gotham with a sci-fi microwave weapon. Still, those movies stood one important test of time, and that is something that emerges from the very core of those films. Nolan (and his team, have to credit Goyer and Jonathan as well) wrote an epic character, and I mean this in the original sense of the word. Many people don't realize just how much of the perfect comic book movies those films are, as their hero and the story revolves around age old questions and morals of good and bad, vengeance and justice, etc. And I always felt that Nolan was able to almost fully and perfectly encapsulate all aspects of these mythical topics in the course of two - quite lengthy - films.

Here, they talk of justice, vengeance, but they felt like mere words in the script for me. The film just didn't engage me on that mythical level.

I don't know, these are my very first thoughts, I just got back from the theatre. Once again, I liked it, I didn't hate it, but for me personally it left much to be desired. It just missed the mark for me.

DHOPW42 wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 2:03 pm
I was rather underwhelmed by this, to be honest. The trailers proved that there was an amazing potential in this, but instead it felt slow (not in a good way) and sometimes even a bit pretentious... I don't want to sound too harsh, because I liked Pattinson, I surprisingly loved the Penguin, but all the rest was just a bit too much for me in terms of style. It just didn't feel natural, especially the visuals... I know this might sound like rubbish, pointing out how a film felt too overly dependent on its visual style, but it really felt like style over substance for me.

And then, by the end, it became tiring in many ways. The music is one aspect of it, I liked and still like the main theme, but listening to it (and almost exclusively to that music cue) for 3 hours straight had an unwanted effect on me. And I only point this out because this sort of "repetitive" feeling was reinforced by the visuals and the scenes, the scenery, etc. Many lingering shots on people turning very slowly around and looking sadly or angrily at something in the distance, many short-term mysteries and reveals, a number of "You gotta take a look at that" moments and forced suspense. I am probably making it sound worse than it really was, but all these details were tiring me out after a while.

It was just soooo, so "dark" that sometimes it felt like a parody of itself. There were a few moments where the "cool shot" and the "suspenseful scene" just crossed the line and became too much for me. The use of Ave Maria by Schubert is another offender here, it's one of the most overused classical pieces of all time anyway, and I just didn't like how many of the scenes were built around it (and sometimes even the film score).

There was only one scene that I thoroughly enjoyed, and that was a car chase scene. That one had great pacing, some momentum (finally) and naturally cool shots and stunts. But that was my main problem with the whole film, pacing, because this aforementioned chase scene is almost the only scene I felt had any sort of momentum.

The riddles and the detective aspect of it was entertaining, but there just wasn't enough of it to carry the weight of the film for three hours for me. And the final little "tease" á la Batman Begins was, honestly, just disappointing for me. For those of you who cannot wait to see it yourself:
I just can't believe we're getting another Joker. Why? This whole Joker mythos is getting really old for me, I have to say.
And I know it sounds childish on a Nolan Fans forum to compare every new Batman movie to Nolan's trilogy, but I'm going to do it anyway. And we don't even have to consider TDKR, because I have my problems with that as well. But I couldn't help but think how Nolan was able to create a modern myth with BB and TDK. There's a late Hungarian pianist and conductor who said something like "We shouldn't thrive for perfection, only for eternity". And I think this sums up my feelings when it comes to Nolan's films.

They are not perfect, they have cheesy lines, cheesy extras, lame moments. Some aspects of BB would be quite ridiculous, were it released nowadays. I mean, a ninja boss attacks Gotham with a sci-fi microwave weapon. Still, those movies stood one important test of time, and that is something that emerges from the very core of those films. Nolan (and his team, have to credit Goyer and Jonathan as well) wrote an epic character, and I mean this in the original sense of the word. Many people don't realize just how much of the perfect comic book movies those films are, as their hero and the story revolves around age old questions and morals of good and bad, vengeance and justice, etc. And I always felt that Nolan was able to almost fully and perfectly encapsulate all aspects of these mythical topics in the course of two - quite lengthy - films.

Here, they talk of justice, vengeance, but they felt like mere words in the script for me. The film just didn't engage me on that mythical level.

I don't know, these are my very first thoughts, I just got back from the theatre. Once again, I liked it, I didn't hate it, but for me personally it left much to be desired. It just missed the mark for me.
I feel like you in many ways. Maybe I expected too much and fell disappointed. I can't avoid the comparisons, but more than Nolan, the parallels with Seven and Zodiac bother me a lot.
I've already seen it twice (and interviewed the cast, Reeves and Clark), but I didn't feel the connection to the story and the characters.

Is there any mid/post credit scene?

No. Just "something" (tiny) at the end of the credits.

natalie wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 8:27 pm
Now I’m confused if it’s worth staying till the very end of the credits lol.

Allstar wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 9:53 pm
natalie wrote:
I did because I love to see the credits, but not worth it.

natalie wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 9:57 pm
Allstar wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 9:53 pm
natalie wrote:
I did because I love to see the credits, but not worth it.
A lot of the time my friends don’t want to stay for the whole thing if there’s nothing there lol. Can you just post what it is in spoiler tags? I don’t mind