The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
natalie wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 4:05 pm
I swear these twitter people really want to cancel Chris Nolan for no reason at all. I hope now people will shut up with these stupid allegations :gonf:

natalie wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 4:05 pm
So I remember she gave a statement like this a few years ago when sites ran, the same way Twitter has with the obvious sellable headline that Nolan himself told her she was too "urban"; just couldn't find the interview.

Also, this story has been trending for like 2 days now, it is probably not what Kravitz wanted. Either way, hope everyone on Nolan's team learned a lesson and became more open and less ignorant...and also, I hope her post silences a lot of the crazy talk coming out of twitter.

Being a "traditionalist" (whatever that means, sounds like being part one of those settler death cults from the 19th century) is an absolutely ridiculous and shameful way to frame any of this. I think Tenet did a lot to improve the diversity in Nolan's filmography, but like almost all the major white big boy auteurs (looking at all of them: Scorsese, Fincher, Coens, Anderson (both), even Reeves) are making attempts, but need to do better. The reason this story gets so much traction every time it comes up is that Nolan is powerful, and the idea that a someone with that much power would put up roadblock based on race is very ugly notion.

As far as all of us, defenders of the faith, Nolan is big boy...he doesn't need us storming the breaches everytime someone says something bad about him on twitter, lets chill out.

Haven't seen the Batman yet, was hoping Virgo would hold my hands through it, I hear there is sexy stuff...:)

So like, The Batman, how bout that score…

A Borges man wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 11:42 pm
So I remember she gave a statement like this a few years ago when sites ran, the same way Twitter has with the obvious sellable headline that Nolan himself told her she was too "urban"; just couldn't find the interview.

Also, this story has been trending for like 2 days now, it is probably not what Kravitz wanted. Either way, hope everyone on Nolan's team learned a lesson and became more open and less ignorant...and also, I hope her post silences a lot of the crazy talk coming out of twitter.

Being a "traditionalist" (whatever that means, sounds like being part one of those settler death cults from the 19th century) is an absolutely ridiculous and shameful way to frame any of this. I think Tenet did a lot to improve the diversity in Nolan's filmography, but like almost all the major white big boy auteurs (looking at all of them: Scorsese, Fincher, Coens, Anderson (both), even Reeves) are making attempts, but need to do better. The reason this story gets so much traction every time it comes up is that Nolan is powerful, and the idea that a someone with that much power would put up roadblock based on race is very ugly notion.

As far as all of us, defenders of the faith, Nolan is big boy...he doesn't need us storming the breaches everytime someone says something bad about him on twitter, lets chill out.

Haven't seen the Batman yet, was hoping Virgo would hold my hands through it, I hear there is sexy stuff...:)
Wow, when did you become this much more nuanced and articulate? I'm so proud of you, babes.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 2:57 am
A Borges man wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 11:42 pm

Wow, when did you become this much more nuanced and articulate? I'm so proud of you, babes.
I mean Racism bad, right? "Traditionalism" stupid, right?

...maybe I'm just a Virgo simp?

Frankthetank wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 1:23 am
So like, The Batman, how bout that score…
Amazing score.

Overall really great, the first half of the movie is borderline perfect in fact, but eventually, it crumbles under its own ambition. There ends up being too much material to chew with and becomes two movies squished into one. In hindsight, I'm realizing just how good Nolan was with editing the script into something concise here.

The art direction is absolutely gorgeous, Frasier did wonders here too with the camerawork. Pattinson's fresh portrayal not as some exuberant Bruce but as a socially awkward loner feels amazing here, and as the Batman, his awkward lingering and eye movements add really good tension to the scenes. Turturro, Farrell, and Kraviz are all also fantastic.
I loved Riddler's introduction but can't help feeling his whole plotline was eventually just wasted and thrown to the side in favor of the other. Bat and Cat did not need to deal with their past in this film, as much as many people like to think of it as essential character. Halfway in the Riddler gets put on hold so long that when he is reintroduced you've kinda forgotten all about him. It slows his side of the movie down so much that it comes across as anti-climactic in the end. We also need a little more here on Batman as a character, hes the protagonist man! The movie drops the narration midway right until the very end again.. this being present throughout would have made the movie more artistically cohese. Go all-in on the noir please Matt! In noir fashion the movie should have also ended on a grim note, in fact when the assassination of Falcone happens, I was wholly ready and expecting of the movie to end there yet it kept on going for another hour or so. A lot of scenes were nedlessly wrought out and needed the fat cutting, another aspect Nolan excels at.. Bruce mythologizing his father but then realizing he is flawed I think was potentially really interesting, but could have been saved for something like the second movie, equally so with Selina Kyle's backstory and their whole involvement with Turturro. Turturro played up the replacement father figure really well which also would have been lots to chew on if this was dedicated to its own movie. There are a lot of interesting and important topics touched on in here just to be reduced to one liners. There were a handful of scenes which would have also felt more impactful if they were shown rather than told, maybe this was an unfortunate product of the pandemic though I don't know. The detective side of the movie could have been played into more I think as well, the studios need to be more insistent on making the movie's grand scheme smaller rather than larger, this is what made Joker such a success.

If the movie spent its whole runtime focused on family legacy, as he investigates his parents real backstories, and all their faults of just being human, including the intertwined crime mystery of Falcone and the Penguin, the DA and the cops all being involved in the crime, Turturro playing up the replacement father, and Bruce caving into it, the recyclable fashion in which the news forgets about the tragic death of Annika, in favour of powerful white people, the relationship plot of Selina and Bat, this would have been its own really great emotional movie.

And on the other hand if the movie focused all its attention on the Riddler, vengeance and its consequences, moving from a symbol of fear into a symbol of hope, the dynamics of being an orphan in your ivory tower compared to being an orphan on the streets. Being promised better for it to just be broken, the powers of just a small online following, and the disastrous consequences of it going unchecked.. this would have been an equally engrossing pot-boiler movie.

Overall though it's emotional and hits a lot of great notes, and hopefully Reeves learns from some of the pitfalls when creating potential sequels. If he does then this will end up becoming a legendary telling.

^ I thought the EXACT same thing like halfway through the movie; How good is fucking Nolan at molding and editing this shit to give us the juiciest, tastiest bits? This film just made me wanna watch Nolan’s trilogy immediately. It’s definitely not a bad movie, and for sure the 4th best Batman in my opinion, but it ain’t got nothing on the holy trilogy.

Last comment on this, I hope Nolan doesn’t get mad at Kravitz for this (that would be pathetic on his part) because I would like to see her work with him in the future. She was fucking amazing in this, def the MVP of the movie for me and the one clear aspect I can say is better than Nolan’s take right away, Selina and her chemistry with Batman. My favorite on screen Selina instantly. To say anything else is better than Nolan’s take would be silly after one movie, well the fight choreography too.

My initial reaction it’s very good but not amazing movie. It has some issues.

Yeah, I can't really think of someone in film circles that people just desperately want to cancel/take down like Nolan, and it's so bizarre bc the guy is almost entirely unproblematic in every way. So many fake outrageous scenarios sparked by clickbait. Like the user said earlier, Nolan's a big boy, he can handle himself.

I fully agree though that whoever said it about Kravitz was entirely out of line and should be embarrassed/face punishment of some kind.

As for this movie, I'm with most of the people here. It's a good movie. Looks amazing, acting/performances all around are excellent, etc. There's just no emotional hook and the story leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone genuinely saying this is the best movie with Batman in it has some serious recency bias.