Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 4:19 pm
Cilogy wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:14 pm
Is it at least worth it for Gambino Calrissian?
I've heard he's only in half the film. Not sure that would be able to make the movie "worth it" if it needed saving.
lol that's like all I need to know to wait for the $5 bargain bin

thanks

Cilogy wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:14 pm
Is it at least worth it for Gambino Calrissian?
As an Atlanta/Community/Gambino fan ... he was thoroughly disappointing here.

I have a huge issue with the script: Han literally lacks any character development in this movie. This is about how he got his name, met Chewie and won his ship, but not about how he became the person he is. He's the same guy from beginning to end. Am I missing something?

At first I thought this wasn't so bad, but I keep forgetting I actually saw this.

Dobson wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 6:17 pm
I have a huge issue with the script: Han literally lacks any character development in this movie. This is about how he got his name, met Chewie and won his ship, but not about how he became the person he is. He's the same guy from beginning to end. Am I missing something?
A lot of big blockbusters suffer the same problem. You might see how character X got item Y that he/she had in a previous movie or the characters go through the plot without any introspection or change, which makes the end result feel shallow and inconsequential. These films don't contribute much in terms of substance or nuance to the characters. They solely exist because fans obsess over meaningless and superficial details.

Dobson wrote:
Nope but that's true of Indy films too which are a semi-model for this. It's not a pre requisite that the character develop if it's meant to be a romp

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 8:36 pm
Dobson wrote:
Nope but that's true of Indy films too which are a semi-model for this. It's not a pre requisite that the character develop if it's meant to be a romp
It usually makes for a more interesting and often better story if the character develops, no? Why should it be acceptable for a film that's meant to be a romp to dispense with character growth altogether?

Batfan175 wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 8:57 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 8:36 pm
Dobson wrote:
It usually makes for a more interesting and often better story if the character develops, no? Why should it be acceptable for a film that's meant to be a romp to dispense with character growth altogether?
No, it is not important unless it is about that. Stories can be about other things. Arguably too many film narrative stories are anchored by character growth. It could stand to learn more from the theatre in that regard.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 11:26 pm

No, it is not important unless it is about that. Stories can be about other things. Arguably too many film narrative stories are anchored by character growth. It could stand to learn more from the theatre in that regard.
This is correct. Things like plot / character / story / theme matter only as much as the particular movie wants them to. Otherwise Man With a Movie Camera would be the worst movie ever made instead of one of the best.

But nevermind Indy, there's Sam Spade, etc. Look to noir or the western, both often use so-called static protagonists to create external change but are rarely changed internally. Usually to their detriment.

I would also argue Solo is more of a character study examining Han coming to terms with who he really is vs who he wants to be.

-Vader

Yeah this a pretty forgettable film. Makes you realise that no one really cares for a young solo.

Rogue One was much more relevant, and so much more watchable.