Isle of Dogs (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I had a serious problem with how the movie chose to inform the viewers by using white characters to interpret the Japanese dialogue (Just use freaking subtitles). Besides that, this was a very charming movie. I wish Swimton's pug had more to do because I laughed so hard every single time her character was on screen.

This weekend!

BlairCo wrote:
April 8th, 2018, 5:04 am
I had a serious problem with how the movie chose to inform the viewers by using white characters to interpret the Japanese dialogue (Just use freaking subtitles). Besides that, this was a very charming movie. I wish Swimton's pug had more to do because I laughed so hard every single time her character was on screen.
Wes' explanation is that there's no way they could make a subtitled foreign language stop motion animated movie. It probably wouldn't work aesthetically and it probably wouldn't work in terms of financing. And they weren't going to make Japanese characters arbitrarily speak english.

It sounds like it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation. The race element of it doesn't bother me at all. It's more that there's a lot of this movie where we stare at characters talking while we can't understand them.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 9:57 pm
BlairCo wrote:
Wes' explanation is that there's no way they could make a subtitled foreign language stop motion animated movie. It probably wouldn't work aesthetically and it probably wouldn't work in terms of financing. And they weren't going to make Japanese characters arbitrarily speak english.

It sounds like it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation. The race element of it doesn't bother me at all. It's more that there's a lot of this movie where we stare at characters talking while we can't understand them.

-Vader
Maybe don’t set the movie in Japan then since most agree it could be set anywhere.

Thoughts on the film and Wes Anderson, Allstar?

Bacon wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 10:33 pm
Thoughts on the film and Wes Anderson, Allstar?
I haven't seen this yet but I like Wes a lot. Stop being so sensitive.

Allstar wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 10:35 pm
Stop being so sensitive.
I asked a question :|

Bacon wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 10:47 pm
Allstar wrote:
Stop being so sensitive.
Your ulterior motives are very transparent and plus I already addressed my thoughts on Wes.

Allstar wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 10:28 pm
Vader182 wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 9:57 pm
BlairCo wrote:

-Vader
Maybe don’t set the movie in Japan then since most agree it could be set anywhere.
didn't you just give somebody shit for commenting on a movie they haven't seen

-Vader

Allstar wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 10:52 pm
Bacon wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 10:47 pm
Allstar wrote:
Stop being so sensitive.
Your ulterior motives are very transparent and plus I already addressed my thoughts on Wes.
fuckin lmao

sounds like something a star wars villain would say