Captain Marvel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
New conspiracy theory: Disney is apparently lying about Captain Marvel box office.

How quickly we forget about Enron and the punishment that comes along with cooking the books.

why what how why

Only a matter of time before some people on internet would start suggesting that it's the case, lol.£

Seeing this tomorrow in that whole "Dolby Theater Experience with Atmos" or whatever the title is

xWhereAmI? wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:24 pm
Seeing this tomorrow in that whole "Dolby Theater Experience with Atmos" or whatever the title is
oh you mean "we curve the screen and crank the volume and call it a premium experience"?

Cilogy wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 8:15 pm
xWhereAmI? wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:24 pm
oh you mean "we curve the screen and crank the volume and call it a premium experience"?
I knew I got the title wrong

dolby's quality is second only to 70mm imax so mind your tongue

-Vader

Crank the volume in a good way

This was at least enjoyable, but man is Brie Larson even trying in this? Every. Single. Line was delivered almost exactly the same. Tbh it seemed like it was directed by the studio themselves, literally seemed directionless as it you couldnt tell this apart of other marvel films. The directors really just copied every single one. But, overall I enjoyed a good amount of this film, but damn Brie Larson was not good in this. I hope the Russo's can get something out of her outside the action scenes.

A LOT of the hand to hand action scenes are impossible to see btw.

Captain Marvel

This was some fun, but man, I just did not engage with the character until like the third act.

A big part of this film is Carol figuring who the fuck she is, and it just seems like she just ... doesn't care? Like, typically the audience is supposed to be alongside the character in the discovery of that information, but you don't really get the time to meditate on that. The film doesn't seem to take a breather until the Skrull stuff, which was honestly far more touching than Carol's background. Ben Mendolsohn was a highlight.

Otherwise the film fails to have any distinctive style in the pantheon of Marvel flicks. It's jarring especially because we've seen improvements in unique styles in the last few years (Panther, GOTG2, Ragnarok). It's just standard CGI effects and the usual "pause here for laughter" dialogue.

This isn't something I wanna watch again.

Tribute to Stan Lee was very sweet.