movies like prestige?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
"Gosford Park" is pretty complex, gripping, beautiful to look at, and improves signifcantly on second and third viewing in exactly the same way as "The Prestige", when understand the implications of things better etc.

"Brazil" is gripping, weird, complex, and about a "dream" that someone has, vs a widely accepted "reality".

"Twelve Monkeys" although less mind-blowing and brilliant than "Brazil", improves on second viewing like "Gosford Park" and "The Prestige" for similar reasons; you know what is going to happen, and the clash between possible realities at one point near the middle is desperately sad.

"Dark City"? Maybe not; I just love it! :lol

"The Name of the Rose" reminds me of "The Prestige" somehow, because of the way it looks at three ( or more ) different people's models of reality as they look for, and/or hide, the truth.

"Don't Look Now" ( Nicholas Roeg ) because of the flashbacks and looping back and overlaps and how reality/"the truth" depends on when and where you are looking from.

"House of Games" ( Mamet ) because it is a duel between two people's "sets of rules/models" and how they can distort/deform reality and create illusions.

"LA Confidential", because it's really gripping and complex and shows two men learning to "see" things differently.

"Bad Influence" for similar reasons as last two.

Eternalist wrote:Sleuth (1972).
the 2007 remake also stars Michael Caine in it.

I would recommend He Was A Quiet Man.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760311/

One of the few fine movies not by Nolan that I like. A genuine mind twister of a movie that is often overlooked.

niniendowarrior wrote:One of the few fine movies not by Nolan that I like.
Ultimate Statement of Fanboy Ignorance of the year is awarded to niniendowarrior! Congratulations!

CrazyEight wrote:
niniendowarrior wrote:One of the few fine movies not by Nolan that I like.
Ultimate Statement of Fanboy Ignorance of the year is awarded to niniendowarrior! Congratulations!
huh?
:eh:

niniendowarrior wrote:
CrazyEight wrote:Ultimate Statement of Fanboy Ignorance of the year is awarded to niniendowarrior! Congratulations!
huh?
lol, he's saying that you don't like many other films except for Nolan's films which is ignorant.

chee wrote:
niniendowarrior wrote: huh?
lol, he's saying that you don't like many other films except for Nolan's films which is ignorant.
Uh... yeah, whatever.

Uh... yeah, whatever.
Uh... yeah.

Or was your original comment some kind of typo?

CrazyEight wrote:
Uh... yeah, whatever.
Uh... yeah.

Or was your original comment some kind of typo?
I like being reminded that English is not my first language. But anyway, moving on.

I like being reminded that English is not my first language.
That was my second guess, my apologies.