Mulan (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Oku
RT decreased from 80-something to 70s, after renewal of boycott due to lead actress comments + backlash from Asians about the contents of the film itself + the "thanks" credit controversy.

Just a coincidence of timing, or are critics really that reactionary?

Oku wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:25 pm
RT decreased from 80-something to 70s, after renewal of boycott due to lead actress comments + backlash from Asians about the contents of the film itself + the "thanks" credit controversy.

Maybe scores just typically trend down as more come in regardless of controversy?

I just rewatched a couple of scenes from the animated movie and there's no reason for Disney to retell this story. I'd be more interested if it was someone else's vision and take on the story. Ultimately, the fact that Disney is constantly patting itself on the back is not getting me excited about much of anything they make.

Batfan175 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:04 pm
I just rewatched a couple of scenes from the animated movie and there's no reason for Disney to retell this story. I'd be more interested if it was someone else's vision and take on the story. Ultimately, the fact that Disney is constantly patting itself on the back is not getting me excited about much of anything they make.
I’m truly stunned by this revelation from you.

Oku
Allstar wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Oku wrote:

Maybe scores just typically trend down as more come in regardless of controversy?
The score stabilized enough for RT to Certify it Fresh, which they are reluctant to do when the score is fluctuating (see: Tenet).

So while your general statement has a grain of truth to it, it does seem like even the RT team was blindsided by the sudden rapid flurry of negative reviews, seeing as how they confidently Certified it Fresh when its score in the mid-80s, which was just before the multiple controversies erupted in succession.

but idk i have no idea why i'm reading so much into this lol

Oku wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Allstar wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Oku wrote:

The score stabilized enough for RT to Certify it Fresh, which they are reluctant to do when the score is fluctuating (see: Tenet).

So while your general statement has a grain of truth to it, it does seem like even the RT team was blindsided by the sudden rapid flurry of negative reviews, seeing as how they confidently Certified it Fresh when its score in the mid-80s, which was just before the multiple controversies erupted in succession.

but idk i have no idea why i'm reading so much into this lol
Let’s be real. RT was never going to give this anything but fresh. Audience score 51%. Funny how I used to trust the RT score more than the audience score; now it’s reversed.

lmao how did anyone like this

Mulan is the worst star wars prequel

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:32 am
Mulan is the worst star wars prequel

-Vader
What does this even mean?