Mulan (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 8:01 pm
The story starts with
soldiers ordered by the government forcing an old man to go to war because he doesn't have any son. The daughter decides to pretend that she's his son instead because she knows her father will die in battle if he goes
I dare you to give me one example of pro-establishment propaganda that depicts the government as so cruel and heartless. Go ahead.
This is an interesting perspective I’ve never thought about, but I don’t think the intention is there. This kind of conscription wouldn’t be considered cruel or heartless in Chinese culture (hence “it is the firstborn’s duty to fight”), and cruelty/heartlessness of the conscription is certainly not implied in the text of the original legend of Mulan. Perhaps after two iterations of Westernization, this perspective can be read into the text, but I highly doubt this version will lean into it, as the 1998 version did not.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:40 pm
Pratham wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 2:01 pm
i desperately needed 'unsubscribe from thread' function like yesterday jeez
If only I had a dollar for everytime you spam that.
if only i had a dollar for everytime i felt posting that

will always support my wife, Gong Li

I do find myself kinda excited for this one. the widescreen visuals are appealing.

-Vader

Love love Gong Li.

I’m already sure they’ll remove all the pansexual elements of the original and given the Yifei Liu HK thing, I really can’t see myself supporting this one, even with all the Asians on screen.

I have very mixed feelings about boycotting movies because of one or two morally dubious cast members.

On one hand, you don't want to support bad or toxic people, but on the other these productions have hundreds or thousands of people, and it seems wrong to invalidate all their work over one person. The utilitarian in me gets triggered.

I get it, tho. I haven't supported any of Woody Allen/Polanski/Singer/Gibson's movies financially.

-Vader

I also think it's more Disney's lack of response to it because they want it to make bank and benefit from Chinese propaganda against HK.

All bow down to Gong Li