The Criterion Collection

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Jedisunscreen wrote:The Criterion Collection is mankind's greatest gift.

BlairCo wrote:I don't understand why Australia doesn't have this yet.
Because home video rights are different in different countries. A notable exception is that the Australian release of Spartacus from a few years ago (on DVD, not the BD) had all the Criterion features and the much-improved transfer.

Get onto the Masters of Cinema - the BDs work here and they're just as good as the Criterions IMO. https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc

What would you suggest to me from that collection? I was expecting more Godard or Bergman, so I'm open to hear your recommendations.

They have a bit of everything, depends on what your interests are. it's basically the same deal as criterion but with worse cover art

BlairCo wrote:What would you suggest to me from that collection? I was expecting more Godard or Bergman, so I'm open to hear your recommendations.
Lang, Dreyer, Murnau, McCarey, Griffith, Wilder. Hard to go wrong with those fellas.

I hate all the region BS. I finally got a region free player last year, though truthfully I've barely made much use of it. At least yet. All the imports I have (which isn't many) are region free except for the StudioCanal Collection Blu of Mulholland Drive.

I really do want the Region B Apocalypse Now 3 Disc Blu because the artwork is SO MUCH BETTER than the American "Full Disclosure" Artwork. With the exception of Criterion stuff it seems like most countries always get better artwork. I hate it.

criterion dropping some intriguing titles

Electrified by the verbal wit and visual craftsmanship of the great Howard Hawks, Only Angels Have Wings stars Jean Arthur as a traveling entertainer who gets more than she bargained for during a stopover in a South American port town. There she meets a handsome yet aloof daredevil pilot, played by Cary Grant, who runs an airmail company, staring down death while servicing towns in treacherous mountain terrain. Both attracted to and repelled by his romantic sense of danger, she decides to stay on, despite his protestations. This masterful and mysterious adventure, featuring Oscar-nominated special effects, high-wire aerial photography, and Rita Hayworth in a small but breakout role, explores Hawks’s recurring themes of masculine codes and the strong-willed women who question them.

Among the most praised and sought-after titles in all contemporary film, this singular masterpiece of Taiwanese cinema, directed by Edward Yang, finally comes to home video in the United States. Set in the early sixties in Taiwan, A Brighter Summer Day is based on the true story of a crime that rocked the nation. A film of both sprawling scope and tender intimacy, this novelistic, patiently observed epic centers on the gradual, inexorable fall of a young teenager (Chen Chang, in his first role) from innocence to juvenile delinquency, and is set against a simmering backdrop of restless youth, rock and roll, and political turmoil.
alsoo this just came out