The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 11:32 am
You're creating multiple imaginary narratives to justify the negative response to the trailer.

-Vader
Not really. Because I’m not justifying anything. My sarcasm is more of a TGWTDT grief repellent. I said it was to be expected considering how this is, like Armie said, Schumacher after Burton.

I also realize well enough that people who are bashing Foy and rising Mara might be a vocal minority who happened to watch TGWTDT Day 1 - back in 2011. Or, who knows, might be there was a considerable rise in audience for that adaptation from 2011-2018. Back then, it was a considerable bomb for Sony, with legions of Rapace fans adoring the TV adaptations.

So yeah, no fantasy here, only saying it how I see it, both trailer version, accent, everything: pretty good effort, some intriguing casting choices , some possibly memorable scenarios (that motorskating shot, bathtub, gimp suit finale).

Looks a LOT better than expected, I was so skeptical at first given no Fincher/Mara but that cast...Hoeks is chilling, Foy looks good although Rooney she ain't. But damn how I'm wishing that we actually had this as a showdown between the two Mara sisters (with Kate in Hoeks' role) with Fincher behind the camera. Few more pointers
- Selling this as a sequel/'next chapter' and using the Fincher/Kellerhouse branding (yes, Sony clearly shelled out for that font and want to use it but COME. ON. I half expected a full on Immigrant Song/another Led Zep cover when this trailer came on the radar) when it's a reboot with an entirely new cast is disingenuous
- However what is interesting is of course the US trailer being the Comic-Con type full-ish scene followed by the teaser. Feel the overseas version is a bit better put together. Wonder if the US one is basically the CinemaCon reel?
- WHAT IS THAT FINAL SHOT

That Kellerhouse ripoff is Sony, again, being lazy fucks who don’t know what they’re doing most of the time.

not to be a debbie downer as this doesn’t necessarily look BAAAAD but I think my overall interest in this series ended with Fincher/Mara.

This looks lame based on not just one, but two trailers. Foy is maybe a good actor and she is cute, but too cute for this role. I'm not saying that Mara is not a pretty girl, but she fit the role with absolute perfection. This is not going to bring much money either.

Vader182 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 9:48 am
yikes those are some bad trailers
doesn't look bad at all

Still not over Fincher not directing with his own cast, but this doesn't look too bad.

I wonder which part looks good.

m4st4 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 9:19 am
prowlercomesaround wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 9:13 am
Foy looks great but that accent was awful
Where are you from? That's how Swedish people generally talk. At first they could almost pass as British, but then you notice something is off. I don't see Foy as the sort of actress that would phone it in.
I'm from Norway and that's not how Swedes or Scandinavians generally talk. Sounds more like some kind of villainish German-American accent from an 80s action flick.

Anyway, why the fuck does she need the accent? I thought that was optional in TGWTDT

I gotta disagree, I really do think it sounds like a Swedish person talking English.

Not that I think it's needed though...