La La Land (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Crazy Eight wrote:Batfan's the guy in your film class that seems smart and ahead of the curve during the first week, but then you quickly realize he's just a cynic without much more than cynical platitudes.
so me basically

Crazy Eight wrote:Batfan's the guy in your film class that seems smart and ahead of the curve during the first week, but then you quickly realize he's just a cynic without much more than cynical platitudes.
No, I just don't feel like writing a lot today. I also don't feel like I need to necessarily like what everyone else likes.

Batfan175 wrote:Finally saw it tonight. It feels overhyped to me. The songs I struggle to recall minutes after leaving the cinema and that should not happen with a great musical. I felt the acting was decent but not groundbreaking, the story is conventional but the visuals and mise en scène are quite nice to look at occasionally. Also, at times it felt the music was drowning out some of the singers' voices, especially in the opening number. By the end, I think the film went on a bit too long. Overall, I think this is a small and decent film but not one of the best of 2016 for me. 'Twas the hype that killed the film.

6/10
lmao

Batfan175 wrote:
No, I just don't feel like writing a lot today. I also don't feel like I need to necessarily like what everyone else likes.
I think he's talking about what you said and how you said it and not how much you said.

Getting the Live in Concert treatment. In LA May 26-27
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... -bowl-tour
Following the Memorial Day dates in Los Angeles, the live production will visit Atlanta; San Diego; San Antonio; Nashville, Tennessee; Washington, D.C.; and other U.S. cities. It will also travel internationally to the United Kingdom, Mexico, Italy, Turkey, Switzerland and Canada. Those dates, along with more cities, will be announced later.

RIFA wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
I think he's talking about what you said and how you said it and not how much you said.
Naa, he seems just mad that I didn't fall in love with the 'best picture' nominee like a lot of people. I am not cynical, I just think the bar for good musicals at this point is rather low and while this one is a decent film, it's not groundbreaking in any way. That's not that different from what others had been saying for a couple of weeks by the way. But because I say it it's a platitude? Yeah, whatever. By next year I'll likely have forgotten I even saw it. It's an escapist fantasy and if it wasn't, the characters would have both followed their dreams and maybe one of them would have failed miserably to achieve what they wanted. That at least would have made for a more interesting film imo. As it is, it's too reassuring and unchallenging for my taste.

They got what they wanted but arguably not what they needed.

Amazed that so many people struggle with the ending to this. If the characters were content at the end there would be no dream sequence.

ArmandFancypants wrote:They got what they wanted but arguably not what they needed.

Amazed that so many people struggle with the ending to this. If the characters were content at the end there would be no dream sequence.
lol THIS

ArmandFancypants wrote:They got what they wanted but arguably not what they needed.

That in itself is not a new concept for a story, hence why it doesn't wow me. I just thought the dream sequence was merely to indicate that this is what might have happened if they had stayed together but the film does not in my opinion suggest that they are not content with their current lives in other ways, just that they decided to move on from their relationship and pursue their passions because they know that they will not be able to keep up their relationship. The film seems to engage in a 'what might have been' at that point but that in itself does not suggest to me that either of them are actively unhappy with the way their lives turned out but only that they are thinking what might have been.

It's want vs. need. The characters attain what they want but not what they need. Hence the final shot of Gosling. That aint contentment. It's resignation.