Top Ten Movies of 2015

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
1. Mad Max: Fury Road A+

2. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation B+

3. Terminator Genisys C

1. Beasts of No Nation
2. Sicario
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. It Follows
5. Ex Machina

1. Sicario
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Ex Machina
4. Black Mass

Theres a special place in hell for those who undervalue Ex Machina. Or at least there should be.

dafox wrote:Theres a special place in hell for those who undervalue Ex Machina. Or at least there should be.
It needed to crank up into another gear IMO.

Havoc1st wrote:1. Mad Max: Fury Road A+

3. Terminator Genisys C
:blank:

shauner111 wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:1. Mad Max: Fury Road A+

3. Terminator Genisys C
:blank:
What?

Jedisunscreen wrote:
dafox wrote:Theres a special place in hell for those who undervalue Ex Machina. Or at least there should be.
I can understand not loving the small scale but the big ideas should compensate for that. Everything else about the film is exquisite and I'm not even someone particularly interested in A.I..

Hopefully I'll be able to see Steve Jobs soon since the last film I saw in the theater/from this year was Mad Max.

dafox wrote:
Jedisunscreen wrote:
I can understand not loving the small scale but the big ideas should compensate for that.
The sense of isolation and chamber piece nature of it certainly worked for me, but its dramatic arc didn't feel like it kicked up a notch when it needed to for Act 3.

Jedisunscreen wrote:
dafox wrote:
Jedisunscreen wrote: It needed to crank up into another gear IMO.
I can understand not loving the small scale but the big ideas should compensate for that.
The sense of isolation and chamber piece nature of it certainly worked for me, but its dramatic arc didn't feel like it kicked up a notch when it needed to for Act 3.
I thought Gleeson outmaneuvering Isaac (i.e. pretending to be mentally unstable by slashing his wrist so Nathan wouldn't suspect the trickery that led to Ava's freedom) only to find out that Nathan/Isaac was right about Ava's cynicism worked well in terms of drama. Hammering in the point that cynicism is probably a natural part of being a sentient being and it made the lead character more than just a vehicle for the audience. Also, Caleb/Gleeson being aware that he was in a sort of chess match with Nathan who wanted to use him as a pawn for the experiment ties together the chess playing computer analogy for Ava rather nicely. But hey, it doesn't have to work for everyone. Its very film noirish which is probably why I'm so enamored with it.