88th Academy Awards

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
to answer Allstar's question, I think it's because there's several "oscar quality" movies that seemingly didn't get nominated. That none of them got nominated when they seem of competitive quality with the others just seems a little odd. Beasts, Concussion, Creed, Compton, etc. Compton especially. It got a lot of attention from guilds, critics, and box office. Normally that all but promises a best picture nomination. I'm not accusing the Academy of actual racism, it's just a systemic thing of white people preferring white people movies due to their whiteness. It's not, in and of itself, a bad thing. Many races are that way. Meaning, races tend to seek out art representative of their race— a pretty universal thing that's calculated into marketing demographics. It's a problem though, and the solution is probably to have a more diverse movie system, with more movies with more diverse sets of people making them.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:to answer Allstar's question, I think it's because there's several "oscar quality" movies that seemingly didn't get nominated. That none of them got nominated when they seem of competitive quality with the others just seems a little odd. Beasts, Concussion, Creed, Compton, etc. Compton especially. It got a lot of attention from guilds, critics, and box office. Normally that all but promises a best picture nomination. I'm not accusing the Academy of actual racism, it's just a systemic thing of white people preferring white people movies due to their whiteness. It's not, in and of itself, a bad thing. Many races are that way. Meaning, races tend to seek out art representative of their race— a pretty universal thing that's calculated into marketing demographics. It's a problem though, and the solution is probably to have a more diverse movie system, with more movies with more diverse sets of people making them.

-Vader
It is ironic that Straight Outta Compton got 1 nomination for screenplay and all 4 writers were white. Creed gets one as well and a supporting white actor. Does not look good, lol. In terms of Elba missing for Beasts I honestly chalk that one up to it being the most competitive category and Hardy getting in on a passion vote. Concussion was mediocre and did not deserve shit.

Allstar wrote:Why is all the outrage made just about black actors? Where is all the outrage about no Hispanic, Asian, Indian actors ect. nominated?
I laughed when Jada Pinkett Smith said that black actors are rarely recognized by the Academy for their accomplishments. Tell that to these nominees/winners just from the past 15 years alone:

Denzel Washington - Training Day (won), Flight
Will Smith - Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness
Jamie Foxx - Ray (won), Collateral
Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda
Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland (won)
Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby (won), Invictus
Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave
Halle Berry - Monster's Ball (won)
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious
Viola Davis - Doubt, The Help
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Djimon Hounsou - In America, Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
Queen Latifah - Chicago
Sophie Okonedo - Hotel Rwanda
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls (won)
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mo'Nique - Precious (won)
Octavia Spencer - The Help (won)
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave (won)

Pretty sure you can't find that many Asians, Hispanics or Native American actors who have been up for Oscars within that same period of time.

LOL at Spike Lee being racist. Just stop with that crap. He's had more diverse casting than everyone's favorite Woody Allen and most directors. So sick of that tired ass narrative that he's racist. Anytime a black person speaks out on racial issues they are automatically labeled a racist. And of course of all people to call someone a racist is this Law guy. The king of all racists on this board. Give me a break.
Last edited by bootsy on January 19th, 2016, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HorrorBiz wrote:
Allstar wrote:Why is all the outrage made just about black actors? Where is all the outrage about no Hispanic, Asian, Indian actors ect. nominated?
I laughed when Jada Pinkett Smith said that black actors are rarely recognized by the Academy for their accomplishments. Tell that to these nominees/winners just from the past 15 years alone:

Denzel Washington - Training Day (won), Flight
Will Smith - Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness
Jamie Foxx - Ray (won), Collateral
Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda
Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland (won)
Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby (won), Invictus
Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave
Halle Berry - Monster's Ball (won)
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious
Viola Davis - Doubt, The Help
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Djimon Hounsou - In America, Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
Queen Latifah - Chicago
Sophie Okonedo - Hotel Rwanda
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls (won)
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mo'Nique - Precious (won)
Octavia Spencer - The Help (won)
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave (won)

Pretty sure you can't find that many Asians, Hispanics or Native American actors who have been up for Oscars within that same period of time.
That's pretty rare. So you can LOL at her all you want, she's right and a lot that happened in the last 15 years. I'm pretty sure you can't find that many many Asians, Hispanics or Native American actors period. The problem is Hollywood producers, studios, execs, etc not casting enough non-whites for roles. And please stop justifying the Oscars racial problems by lumping in other races. You don't care that much. The only reason you mention that now is because people are speaking out about it and you can't stand it. It's the same crap the media tried to pull with the cops shooting and killing black males and the media started mentioning 'what about black on black crime' as if that is justification.

White people should all be killed to be honest

bootsy wrote:And of course of all people to call someone a racist is this Law guy. The king of all racists on this board. Give me a break.
lmao

ChristNolan wrote:White people should all be killed to be honest
Pretty much.

Forum Pro
Law
What have I started

bootsy wrote: That's pretty rare. So you can LOL at her all you want, she's right and a lot that happened in the last 15 years. I'm pretty sure you can't find that many many Asians, Hispanics or Native American actors period. The problem is Hollywood producers, studios, execs, etc not casting enough non-whites for roles. And please stop justifying the Oscars racial problems by lumping in other races. You don't care that much. The only reason you mention that now is because people are speaking out about it and you can't stand it. It's the same crap the media tried to pull with the cops shooting and killing black males and the media started mentioning 'what about black on black crime' as if that is justification.
this is post is regressive and stupid

move along