88th Academy Awards

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This could actually makes things worse.

So the Academy being ~94% white and ~77% male not enough for some of you? Will you not be happy until it is 100% white and 100% male? I won't get into issue of them being older people and out of touch. Does the human race look like those percentages? Does the film-consuming audience? Racism and sexism can be unconscious and structural. I don't think people are making the conscious decision to exclude or overlook women and minorities here in most cases, but the system as structured and unconscious bias does.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:So the Academy being ~94% white and ~77% male not enough for some of you? Will you not be happy until it is 100% white and 100% male? I won't get into issue of them being older people and out of touch. Does the human race look like those percentages? Does the film-consuming audience? Racism and sexism can be unconscious and structural. I don't think people are making the conscious decision to exclude or overlook women and minorities here in most cases, but the system as structured and unconscious bias does.
Ignore the trolls.

Most sane people agree there are some issues with the way things are run.

While I think what the Academy is doing is noble, they still do have to wait for the industry to catch up.

I mean, let's say we have an incredibly diverse voting body, that doesn't mean, for example, black voters will solely vote for black filmmakers, or that women will vote for female filmmakers. As long as the idea of merit is being held as the prime standard of value (or at least the pretense of it), what is typically considered "the best" will be voted as "the best". When, for example, black or female folks in the industry simply don't receive nor are offered the experience and exposure needed to become better filmmakers, naturally it's still going to be the Spielbergs of the industry who continue to win that recognition.

Otherwise we'll simply continue to have repeats of situations like fucking Crash winning best picture or Selma receiving what seems like far more acclaim than it probably deserved. Almost as if the established powers that be simply throw people the occasional bone simply to maintain some facade of credibility or integrity.

Nothing's gonna change over night is what I'm sayn.

Jeffrey Wright basically called Michael Caine a racist on Twitter

ChristNolan wrote:Jeffrey Wright basically called Michael Caine a racist on Twitter
which is bull

Caine's comments where pretty much on point

If school were more accessible (not a billion dollars a year) then there'd be more diversity. Thats a pretty big problem since philosophy is a more secure major to go into and everyone (understandably) makes fun of philosophy majors for their career prospects. I can't really imagine a whole lot of racism/sexism in this area since film studies is a part of the humanities. What Vader said has to be a factor when it comes to voting.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:So the Academy being ~94% white and ~77% male not enough for some of you? Will you not be happy until it is 100% white and 100% male? I won't get into issue of them being older people and out of touch. Does the human race look like those percentages? Does the film-consuming audience? Racism and sexism can be unconscious and structural. I don't think people are making the conscious decision to exclude or overlook women and minorities here in most cases, but the system as structured and unconscious bias does.
Just bitching PoC . Everything's fine.

/s
It irks me if we can actually talk about actual racism and sexism in the industry, though-this seems like a American dynamic to me and I don't know a lot about the subject. But yes, there's a big and serious problem in the film industry that need to be tackled

dafox wrote:If school were more accessible (not a billion dollars a year) then there'd be more diversity. Thats a pretty big problem since philosophy is a more secure major to go into and everyone (understandably) makes fun of philosophy majors for their career prospects. I can't really imagine a whole lot of racism/sexism in this area since film studies is a part of the humanities. What Vader said has to be a factor when it comes to voting.
Fuck film school. It's not rocket science and is only a gauntlet to build up the few greats and ruin the lives of everyone else. It's about as useful as a degree in Astrology.

Someone is gonna make a movie about this, then it's gonna get all the nominations.