88th Academy Awards

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MyCocaine wrote:I fear John Williams may win Best Original Score for TFA. Such a lacklustre score, which I remember nothing from. Ennio Morricone deserves the Oscar. It's just sad that even with a mediocre effort Williams still gets recognized. Happy for Jóhann Jóhannsson though.

Honestly I think this is Ennio's to lose. He's a legend and the fact that he hasn't won an Oscar yet (especially when he SHOULD have won in 1987 for "The Mission") is going to propel him to the top.

I'd actually put Thomas Newman above Williams as well since he's 0-11 with the Oscars.

If Williams wins it'll be on brand name alone because, as you've said, there is NOTHING memorable about the new Star Wars score outside of the rehashing of old themes. Also... how in the hell did it get an Editing nomination??? That was one of the worst aspects of the (imho mediocre) film.

Damn, I'd bet some bucks on Brooklyn getting a BP nom. Odds were 66/1 :problem:

Yeah, TFA getting a Film Editing nomination is truly puzzling. Academy getting all hard for Star Wars.

One of my least favourite aspects of the film. It's problematic to say the least.

kinda hoping Rylance wins

I don't know if TFA deserves any of its nominations

also, I'm a little shocked QT wasn't nominated for writing

SICARIOOOOOOOOO

MyCocaine wrote:I fear John Williams may win Best Original Score for TFA. Such a lacklustre score, which I remember nothing from. Ennio Morricone deserves the Oscar. It's just sad that even with a mediocre effort Williams still gets recognized. Happy for Jóhann Jóhannsson though.
If anyone 'deserves' it it's Johann.

Both Tom Hardy and Domhnall Gleeson films got 22 nominations each :shock:

Also, the luminous Saoirse Ronan is the second youngest person with two acting nominations :clap:

Inside Out and Beasts of No Nation would've looked good in the best picture noms. Not sure why they weren't picked.

Abraham Attah's performance was one of the best acting I've ever seen. It's a shame he wasn't nominated. I feel quite passionately about this. Up until the end I completely believed in his performance, and when the movie was over, I looked back at how brilliant it was. I think he deserves some kind of recognition over Dicaprio or Redmayne.

D-Ville snubbed, IMO

J-Law getting a nom over Furiosa is riot-worthy.

I'm glad that Hardy finally got a well deserved nomination but I feel Elba should be in there. Happy for Rachel McAdams too, she's having a strong year with this, True Detective and her role in Doctor Strange. Nice to see some recognition for Ex Machina and Sicario. Hopefully Morricone will win even though I'm afraid they might give it to Thomas Newman who is great but has done much better and memorable work in the past. Also, it's not my favourite film of the year but I really loved Mad Max and I'm definitely rooting for it to win BP and BD even though it probably won't happen.