Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Star Wars: Darth Maul Was Original Sequel Trilogy Villain, Reveals George Lucas - IGN
Darth Maul trained a girl, Darth Talon, who was in the comic books, as his apprentice. She was the new Darth Vader, and most of the action was with her. So these were the two main villains of the trilogy. Maul eventually becomes the godfather of crime in the universe because, as the Empire falls, he takes over.

The movies are about how Leia -- I mean, who else is going to be the leader? -- is trying to build the Republic. They still have the apparatus of the Republic but they have to get it under control from the gangsters. That was the main story.

It starts out a few years after Return of the Jedi and we establish pretty quickly that there's this underworld, there are these offshoot stormtroopers who started their own planets, and that Luke is trying to restart the Jedi. He puts the word out, so out of 100,000 Jedi, maybe 50 or 100 are left. The Jedi have to grow again from scratch, so Luke has to find two- and three-year-olds, and train them. It'll be 20 years before you have a new generation of Jedi.

By the end of the trilogy Luke would have rebuilt much of the Jedi, and we would have the renewal of the New Republic, with Leia, Senator Organa, becoming the Supreme Chancellor in charge of everything. So she ended up being the Chosen One.
See also: [QUOTES] George Lucas

So, Darth Maul, so it would have been done after the prequels, but would take place only a handful of years after RTJ. So how do you have Ford, Hamill and Fisher look like they're in their thirties?
I guess he thought there wasn't enough CGI in the prequels, and realised the only way to do more CGI was to use it on the face of the actors.

eh idk about all that

George Lucas: “I had planned for the first trilogy to be about the father, the second trilogy to be about the son, and the third trilogy to be about the daughter and the grandchildren. Episode VII, VIII, and IX would take ideas from what happened after the Iraq War. ‘Okay, you fought the war, you killed everybody, now what are you going to do?’ Rebuilding afterwards is harder than starting a rebellion or fighting the war. When you win the war and you disband the opposing army, what do they do? The stormtroopers would be like Saddam Hussein’s Ba’athist fighters that joined ISIS and kept on fighting. The stormtroopers refuse to give up when the Republic win. They want to be stormtroopers forever, so they go to a far corner of the galaxy, start their own country and their own rebellion. There’s a power vacuum so gangsters, like the Hutts, are taking advantage of the situation, and there is chaos. The key person is Darth Maul, who had been resurrected in The Clone Wars cartoons—he brings all the gangs together.” (The Star Wars Archives: Episodes I-III 1999-2005)

While I'm no huge Maul fan (wouldn't have brought him back in the cartoon), after seeing what a bust what Disney did to Snoke was it couldn't have been worse than what they went with changing the villain three times in the Disney sequels.

yea the sequel trilogy seems empty compared to that synopsis

I have very little hope for this. Most likely just a bunch of spin off shows based on all the badasses of the week, in Mando, and not a whole lot more.

Kenobi+

This season of Mando is low-key some of the best star wars since 1977 so you'll excuse me if I can't muster up too much cynicism towards Disney+ making a million shows. I bet a bunch of them will be good! The Acolyte in particular sounds great! So do Andor, Ahsoka, Lando and Bad Batch. Sorry!

-Vader

big day for graphic designers, look at all those fonts!