Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I had overall mixed feelings about Mando, and I'm not sure what to think of the new film. Love Taika but not a fan of the writers.

Let's see if Kennedy revives this franchise from the lowest point it has ever been or rather would Disney ever let her.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 3:57 pm
I had overall mixed feelings about Mando, and I'm not sure what to think of the new film. Love Taika but not a fan of the writers.

Let's see if Kennedy revives this franchise from the lowest point it has ever been or rather would Disney ever let her.
Even with all the issues with TROS, the prequels still remain the low point of the franchise.

I never got through The Mandalorian, think I saw the first two or three episodes. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on underneath. I mean sure it looks beautiful and baby Yoda is cute as fuck but idk, it just hasn't fully grasp me or something.

As for the movies, I think JJ is both the best and the worst thing to happen to them. I would've loved to have seen Johnson being more in control of the overall story arc or at least got to experience making some blockbusters before going into Star Wars but alas. That didn't happen.
I just really don't care for the approach of taking two steps back and one step forward when it comes to TFA. They should have had more trust in the audience and come up with more new material instead of softly remaking ANH...

Aside from this being an ongoing discussion and I don't think my opinion has changed much since last year (only seen TROS once btw) I hope that whenever they continue with this franchise they inject some much needed freshness into it.

speaking of SW, sometimes twitter is good

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:04 am

-Vader
Damn! That's a good one.

Man, do you sometimes just stop during your day and feel extra depressed because there will always be a vacant spot on your shelf due to TROS' extra layered trashyness. I do. 2020 on itself wasn't enough.

Nomis wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:26 am
I never got through The Mandalorian, think I saw the first two or three episodes. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on underneath. I mean sure it looks beautiful and baby Yoda is cute as fuck but idk, it just hasn't fully grasp me or something.

As for the movies, I think JJ is both the best and the worst thing to happen to them. I would've loved to have seen Johnson being more in control of the overall story arc or at least got to experience making some blockbusters before going into Star Wars but alas. That didn't happen.
I just really don't care for the approach of taking two steps back and one step forward when it comes to TFA. They should have had more trust in the audience and come up with more new material instead of softly remaking ANH...

Aside from this being an ongoing discussion and I don't think my opinion has changed much since last year (only seen TROS once btw) I hope that whenever they continue with this franchise they inject some much needed freshness into it.
I'm not floored by the Mandalorian either but it's a solid turn off your brain adventure serial you can pop in and out of. I would actually prefer if the individual episodes had less and less overarching stories and focused on a villain of the week material. I think it would suit this sort of show better since it's overall story and pretty much the main character don't really interest me that much. I like Baby Yoda like everyone but I'm not sure the mystery around him justifies multiple seasons of storytelling. Is he a clone or is he Yoda's baby? Who cares, really. He's cute, that's enough information for me.

As for Star Wars in general, yeah, I lost interest too. I think it needs a "The Batman" to bring me back. A project that would not feel like your typical action movie with Star Wars props but rather either bring something new to the table in terms of genre or go back to its roots of being an operatic film, slower paced, with music, scale and drama being a larger focus than "cool" action and lightsaber fights.

m4st4 wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:49 am
Vader182 wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:04 am

-Vader
Damn! That's a good one.

Man, do you sometimes just stop during your day and feel extra depressed because there will always be a vacant spot on your shelf due to TROS' extra layered trashyness. I do. 2020 on itself wasn't enough.
I'm particulary lstruck by the fact that A) I haven't watched it again since I took the family the the Friday after it was released and B) I don't have it on physical media. I even had Solo by this point.

LelekPL wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 6:56 am
Nomis wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:26 am

I'm not floored by the Mandalorian either but it's a solid turn off your brain adventure serial you can pop in and out of. I would actually prefer if the individual episodes had less and less overarching stories and focused on a villain of the week material. I think it would suit this sort of show better since it's overall story and pretty much the main character don't really interest me that much. I like Baby Yoda like everyone but I'm not sure the mystery around him justifies multiple seasons of storytelling. Is he a clone or is he Yoda's baby? Who cares, really. He's cute, that's enough information for me.

As for Star Wars in general, yeah, I lost interest too. I think it needs a "The Batman" to bring me back. A project that would not feel like your typical action movie with Star Wars props but rather either bring something new to the table in terms of genre or go back to its roots of being an operatic film, slower paced, with music, scale and drama being a larger focus than "cool" action and lightsaber fights.
Arent episodes like half an our each?

As for the movies, I think JJ clung too much to the first film. It's one thing to capture the essence of what makes Star Wars you know, Star Wars. It's another to basically remake it.

Half of Mandalorian is really good in an old Star Wars sort of way, and the other half is absolute low budget dumpster fire. What ties it together? Disney hitting peak toy-everybody-wants moment with #babyyoda. Just look at those eyes. You know you want it. You know you want to ignore everything else in the show.

Cuteness is the only thing Disney has consistently been delivering. Cute Dumbo, Cute baby Simba, Babu Frik, but mostly the rest of the thing belongs in the garbage can.