Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 9:44 pm
They misled him and weren’t upfront with him throughout the process.
?

4 billy tho

Nauta wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Allstar wrote:
?
Iger admitted as much, they shocked Lucas when they revealed their plans and Iger said he wishes he handled it differently.

Allstar wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Nauta wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Allstar wrote:
?
Iger admitted as much, they shocked Lucas when they revealed their plans and Iger said he wishes he handled it differently.
that's not what he said but ok

-Vader

More or less. Stop being so defensive with Disney Star Wars all the time, particularly the massive corporation that runs it.
“George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren’t using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations,” Iger writes. “George knew we weren’t contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we’d follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded. I’d been so careful since our first conversation not to mislead him in any way, and I didn’t think I had now, but I could have handled it better.

Added the CEO: "George felt betrayed, and while this whole process would never have been easy for him, we’d gotten off to an unnecessarily rocky start.”

Things didn’t improve when Lucas saw the finished movie. Following a private screening, Iger recalls, Lucas “didn’t hide his disappointment. “There’s nothing new,” he said. In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to him to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, ‘There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward.’ He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ns-1242953

If it surprised Lucas that they weren't using his story he was obviously misled and Iger even admitted he could have handled it better. He even said George thought buying the treatments was a promise but they never told him it was not until they were already done with the story/script treatment. Bad job by them to the guy who sold his baby to them.

its amazing how you bolded every part of that paragraph except the part where iger very clearly says he was "careful not to mislead" lucas

you're making it sound like he misled him, as in did so intentionally. he didn't. it wasn't in bad faith. it completely changes the spirit of the negotiation from what you keep saying. i'm not defending anything, you're just mischaracterizing what iger said and i'm correcting you.

-Vader

He tried not to mislead him and clearly failed. Obviously. Bad job, poor treatment of Lucas. I never said it was intentional but he clearly misled him as did KK. Also, in general like pretty much all billionaire CEO’s Iger seems like a massive slime ball.

4 billy tho

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 12:30 am
4 billy tho
I honestly don’t get this reference.

Iger counters, “”He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars…We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do.”
Bob Iger openly admitting that TFA was almost entirely just a business model rather than a film is as depressing as it is/was obvious.