Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:Does anyone like some of the changes Lucas made in the special editions? The Return of the Jedi ending is much more epic with Victory Celeberation. Shame about ghost Hayden.
I fully support the CGI enhancements to the Battle of Yavin and the exteriors of Cloud City.

Allstar wrote:Does anyone like some of the changes Lucas made in the special editions? The Return of the Jedi ending is much more epic with Victory Celeberation. Shame about ghost Hayden.
I like the broader victory celebration, the new shots in the Battle of Yavin... some of the Aurabesh stuff.

The rest is crap. The thing that upsets me most is that the new shots frequently feature the horrible artificial zooms that it seems 80% of the shots in the prequels feature, but not any of the original shots from the OT.

The one that grinds my gears the most TBH is Vader returning to the Executor that is SOMEHOW THE DEATH STAR II DOCKING BAY FOR SOME REASON. It robs that section of the film of key momentum, and for some reason we lost the brilliantly miserable reading of "Bring my shuttle."

I really love all the added scenery to Cloud City (ita interesting to note that's actually something Kershner himself wanted but couldn't) That's really all I care about and I guess I prefer the Special Edition of Empire just because of that. Cloud City is just one of the most amazing places in all of Science fiction.
Last edited by ComptonTerry on December 3rd, 2014, 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If
The Empire still have some sort of authority in The Force Awakens like some reports said
, the Special edition celebration wont even be canon, no?

ArmandFancypants wrote:The one that grinds my gears the most TBH is Vader returning to the Executor that is SOMEHOW THE DEATH STAR II DOCKING BAY FOR SOME REASON. It robs that section of the film of key momentum, and for some reason we lost the brilliantly miserable reading of "Bring my shuttle."
This is so true and not brought up that much in comparison to other changes. The tone of the delivery was perfect considering what he just went through.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:If
The Empire still have some sort of authority in The Force Awakens like some reports said
...not necessarily. It just means that the implication doesn't really follow through. The events depicted will still be canon. The Empire can still be a force without controlling Mos Eisley, Theed, Cloud City, and the Imperial City. The rioting on Coruscant can be chalked up to the reaction to the news of Palpatine's death, without meaning that the planet is liberated.
Allstar wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:The one that grinds my gears the most TBH is Vader returning to the Executor that is SOMEHOW THE DEATH STAR II DOCKING BAY FOR SOME REASON. It robs that section of the film of key momentum, and for some reason we lost the brilliantly miserable reading of "Bring my shuttle."
This is so true and not brought up that much in comparison to other changes. The tone of the delivery was perfect considering what he just went through.
Which is ultimately what the film is about. I sometimes wonder if Lucas actually cottoned onto what Kersh and Kasdan were doing.

Not even. People forget that the 'current" EU vision of The Empire is that they had troops and a presence on the vast majority of planets around the entire galaxy, barring like, the outer rim and random shit planets like Hoth. They could have lost their grip on a lot of major planets and still be a formidable force.

I like the rumors. Actually, I love them (little though I read).

The OT is very much a reaction to the idealism bubbling to the surface in the late 70s before regressing to harsh truths in Empire, and lord knows Jedi is absent in many areas including a compelling theme. But the prequels show a political system with a net that's been cast too wide, that's rendered impotent by its own in-fighting, by its own influence of corporations, and by its own corruption to suit isolated individuals. A lot can be said of the prequel's flaws, but they don't lack substance (or at least an attempt at substance). Each movie very much reflects their times within the fabric of the narrative rather than as character A represents X and character B represents Y. Lucas is a master at uniting story and theme to the point they're inseparable. If the direction we're hearing for the new trilogy is true, this tradition has been maintained.

-Vader

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:If
...not necessarily. It just means that the implication doesn't really follow through. The events depicted will still be canon. The Empire can still be a force without controlling Mos Eisley, Theed, Cloud City, and the Imperial City. The rioting on Coruscant can be chalked up to the reaction to the news of Palpatine's death, without meaning that the planet is liberated.
Allstar wrote:
Which is ultimately what the film is about. I sometimes wonder if Lucas actually cottoned onto what Kersh and Kasdan were doing.
What you think of the extra scenery added in Cloud City?

ComptonTerry wrote:What you think of the extra scenery added in Cloud City?
I like it, it adds to the atmosphere of the place and I think it's something Kershner would have done anyway had he the resource. It looks great and it's not obtrusive. I mean, it's not a fucking ronto or whatever blocking the field of view.

Yes, that's what it's called.

But if I had my way it would just be the film as released. Add the "Episode IV: A New Hope" to the original and that's it. Restore the films from their original elements (no more blue Hoth please) and baby, you got yourself a stew.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:What you think of the extra scenery added in Cloud City?
I like it, it adds to the atmosphere of the place and I think it's something Kershner would have done anyway had he the resource. It looks great and it's not obtrusive. I mean, it's not a fucking ronto or whatever blocking the field of view.

Yes, that's what it's called.

But if I had my way it would just be the film as released. Add the "Episode IV: A New Hope" to the original and that's it. Restore the films from their original elements (no more blue Hoth please) and baby, you got yourself a stew.
Are you aware of Harmy's despecialized editions? If so, thoughts?